addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Oxford Movie Fans Meetup Message Board › Question/suggestion

Question/suggestion

A former member
Post #: 2
Running a group like this is hard work and I have absolutely no criticism of that. I haven't participated (did try once and got horribly lost not long after I moved here). I joined the group in the hope of finding people to see every day stuff, the new releases, the mainstream stuff as well as a chance to see the odd interesting/alternative film.

I know I can suggest meetups and I know I've been a bit of a wuss, so I thought I'd better post now and speak up. Is the focus of this group to see only the more literary/off the wall stuff or is supposed to be all encompassing?
A former member
Post #: 12
I think it should be to see anything - off the wall as well as mainstream.
Julie
user 2814348
Oxford, GB
Post #: 5
I agree with Fatima that it should be a bit of everything. And I think that has often been the case; I know the group has seen films from Harry Potter to Zombie movies to French and Spanish arthouse to crime thrillers etc. It's the members group so we should all pitch in and suggest things. I know Richard who is taking over organising is keen on the more the merrier and the more different film kinds of films the merrier. I am quite up for seeing the Planet of Apes film, for example...
Richard
user 8923880
Oxford, GB
Post #: 23
Hello everyone,

Sorry for not replying to this sooner, I've been away for a bit, but have come back and thought I'd better contribute to this thread! As you know Brian has asked that I take over the group, which I'm happy to do, but the main thing is that we make it as inclusive as possible for everyone. So while the arty films at places like the Phoenix and UPP have their place we should also include the more everyday films as well.

Equally please say what your preferred choice of venue is. The Vue has its advantages but is also difficult to reach without a car and some find it a bit 'soul-less'.

I'm completely open to all suggestions and I would encourage everyone to say what they think the group should be doing so that everyone can get as much out of it as possible!
A former member
Post #: 16
As far as I'm aware, the group doesn't have any guidelines whatsoever about the type of films posted as meetups. I tend to go to The Phoenix because I've got a membership card and it's more convenient, but I know there's been several successful events at The Vue as well. I even went to see a film directed by Brian at a Church in the centre of Oxford last year (..which was more than he did!)

PS: Good film Brian!