Announcing a new Meetup for The Worcester Paddling Meetup Group!What
: Swift River in Belchertown, MAWhen
: Sunday, August 1,[masked]:30 AMWhere
: Swift River
Cold Spring Road
Belchertown, MA 01007
Kayak/Canoe Swift River in Belchertown, MA
Sunday Aug 1st, launch at 8:30 AM. This means we will be in our boats at 8:30 AM.
Right now Sunday is suppose to be nice in the morning, rain later in the day. Hoping we can get a paddle in before it rains..
This is an amazing river to paddle, slow water suitable for all skill levels and types of boats. The area is gorgeous, and for several miles of the river the water is crystal clear, you can see the beautiful formations on the bottom and lots of fish! Plenty of birds everywhere too!
We'll be paddling upstream then back down to the launch area for a break. That will be about 1 1/2 hours. For anyone who wants to continue we'll then go downstream awhile then back up to the launch, for about an additional 1 1/2 hours of paddling.
Here is a link that shows a map to the boat access area -http://www.mass.gov/d..
If you are coming from the north, please use yahoo maps or mapquest with Cold Spring Road, Belchertown, MA as your destination, that should get you there. I also recommend looking at the map in the link above.
The boat launch is on Cold Sping Road between East Street and River Road
I go west out of Ware on Rt 9 and take a left on River Road or East Street. These roads go along the river down to the boat launch. They go off of RT 9 near the entrances for the Quabbin Dam
From the Mass Pike ? (These directions are from yahoo maps, but modified as their directions are misleading in a few places.)
- Take Exit #8 (Palmer)
- At the end of the offramp after the toll booth, turn left onto Thorndike St.
- In 0.8 miles turn left onto High St.
- High St. becomes Church St.
- Church St. becomes Pleasant St.
- Pleasant St. becomes Thorndike St.
- At the end of Thorndike, bear right onto Rt. 181 North.
- Turn left onto Depot Road and then right at the end of that street to stay on 181 North (just follow the signs for 181 North and stay with that).
- In 1.5 miles, turn RIGHT onto Michael Sears Road (Last time I was there, the street sign was missing, but it's the first right after Franklin St - look at mapquest and it will be pretty clear)
- In 1.3 miles, take a sharp right onto Cold Spring Road
- In about ? mile, you?ll see a sign that says ?Swift River Access? on the right at the entrance to the parking area. If you go over the river, you missed it. (The parking area is just after you pass East St. on the left.)
RSVP to this Meetup:http://www.meetup.com/paddling-33/calendar/14267075/