Bowling Green Canoe and Kayak Message Board › Do you know any good trips??? Post them here!

Do you know any good trips??? Post them here!

A former member
Post #: 7
Again I'd like to throw in the Green river trip from just north of Canmer on 32 E . It has a water fall, rare flowers and plants all in one spot.Its a 12 mile trip but I'm told it is well worth the effort. Canmer is just north of Glasgow. I'll get more details if anyone is interested.
John B.
user 7671064
Bowling Green, KY
Post #: 12
This is the 300 Springs Trip which is scheduled for June 27. We have measured it via GPS at 10.4 miles.
A former member
Post #: 8
Yes it is and that sounds like one I'd like to make.
Doug
user 9735936
Glasgow, KY
Post #: 1
I just run the Big South Fork of the Cumberland in May. CFS = 550 We stayed two nights but could have easily been run with just one night of camping. Beautiful, Class 1 & some 2. Devils Jump is listed as a Class 3, but I ran it in my Old Town Guide 14'-7" twice with no problem. It is a big trip, but definitely worth it. Not too rough as long as the CFS is less than 800. Would be a great trip for mid to late Sep. maybe early Oct.
A former member
Post #: 130
Hiwassee River in E. Tennessee, we have to do this!
Don&Brandon D.
user 10429011
Bowling Green, KY
Post #: 3
An amzing trip is 101 bridge to martainsville ford, its about a 3hr trip when the waters low we did it a week ago in an hr and 10 min only paddling to adjust direction. it could probably be done even faster now.
A former member
Post #: 33
That is a nice run. We did that trip last winter and we have it on the schedule again for this winter. Since it is a shorter trip, we are doing it in the winter, so we aren't exposed to the weather as long. But that is a nice fast trip, I hope other people will check it out too. You said the water was really flowing? The B. R. Lake Dam must be letting water out already. If you enjoyed that, check out the dam release paddle we'll do in November, it is a fun and fast paddle.
Don&Brandon D.
user 10429011
Bowling Green, KY
Post #: 4
we R.S.V.P.ed for the dam release trip so we might see you there.
Wayne T.
user 19606871
Greensburg, KY
Post #: 1
There's a great run down the last 10 miles of a little river called Russel Creek from the bridge on Bramlett Rd, (just outside Greensburg,) to the mouth on Green River. It is absolutely beautiful and the smallmouth fishing is out of this world. There aren't any really challenging riffles unless new trees are down but it's twisty enough to be interesting. You would want to wait until fall or maybe even spring so you don't have to walk much. A good indicator for water levels would be the gauging station in Greensburg reading between 2.5 and 4 feet.
Since there's no good take-out near the mouth on Green River, I usally make it a two day trip and take out at the Gabe-Webb Ford, (just below the mouth of Pittman Creek.) There's plenty of great sand bars and islands to camp on.
This trip is a bit of a drive for the BG crew but it's totally worth it. From Bowling Green, it's about an hour and a half to either the put-in or take-out.
Joanne
user 9939366
Cookeville, TN
Post #: 5
I did the Rough River on Sunday, July 17. I paddled from the dam to the falls and it was about a six mile trip. It was mostly flatwater with only a couple of strainers but a great current flowed from the dam so it was a good lazy Sunday afternoon paddle. We saw lots of wildlife including a bald eagle. Also there is a really neat old bridge that is worth exploring and taking some photos. The Green Farm at the take out has a beautiful old mill, too.