Park Slope Knitting Circle Message Board › Baby Surprise information, Round 1

Baby Surprise information, Round 1

Anna
AnnaClaire
Brooklyn, NY
For those of you participating in the knit-along of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket, you have only one thing to do before Thursday's meeting: find, buy, or otherwise obtain yarn. Per Archie's info, you'll need 450 yards of just about any yarn, within reason (that is, anything that isn't laceweight or especially buky). Given that this is a baby jacket, superwash is a good idea. And if you, like me, aren't familiar with the pattern, you might want to stick to an un-fuzzy yarn. (I've bought two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, a very soft superwash yarn a little bit thicker than Cascade 220.)

I'm assembling a few links with more information (and links to the pattern, should I get a hold of one myself) in a thread in our Ravelry group. Highlights include a repost of the link to the pattern's page on Knit Wiki and a blog post which includes a sequence of photos illustrating how the jacket folds together.

Archie and I are still in discussions about the specifics of scheduling, which will be complicated by the fact that I will be away from the 14th through the 23rd (the scheduling wasn't my idea, I'm tagging along to a conference). We're thinking about it being a six-week schedule, with the stopping points at places where the pattern is more likely to through people off. If you don't hear more about it before then, you can assume you'll be given a more detailed schedule on Thursday.
Anna
AnnaClaire
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 18
By the way, if you're on Ravelry and are a member of our group there, you can share your yarns with groups the way you do projects. Use it! Show everyone what you're using for the knit-along (and whatever else we catch you using).

Don't know how to share projects and/or yarn yet? It's simple: in the right-hand column, a few boxes below the edit button, there's a box called "groups" -- just select "Park Slope Knitting Circle" from the drop-down menu. They'll show up in the two boxes on the right-hand side of the group page (one's for projects, the other's for yarns).
A former member
Post #: 11
Hello:

I signed up for this meeting, I have my yarn and needles with me, but it turns out that I may have an errand to run after work. What time is the actual lesson or instructional aspect start? Or will it not even work that way and people will just be working from a pattern and providing each other with assistance as needed? I am just trying to figure out if it makes sense to come even if I will be late. Thanks.
Archie
user 4083771
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 14
Hey KALers,

Here is some info about round one. Sorry for the delay.

1) Use the long tail cast-on to CO. If you use this cast-on, you will always having the string to be weaved in hanging on the right side whenever the RS is facing you.

2) for the first round, it would be nice if everyone got to row 11 aka the completion of ridge 5. For each of the RS rows, you are going to do two double decrease.

3) To start with the marker should be on 36th and 125th stitch. Basically, when decreasing, you knit until the the stitch with the marker is two away, then you sl 1, k2tog and psso. The stitch with the marker will be the last stitch on the right hand needle. Just move the marker up and continue.

4) No decreasing on the WS wrong.

5) If you have any questions, post them here.