Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › Can one direct the path of a blog post?

Can one direct the path of a blog post?

Lowell H.
user 19213671
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Is it possible to control the path of different blog posts or must one go to multiple blog sites under one copy of Wordpress? Below is an explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish.

On the same Wordpress, running Lifestyle 2 from Genesis, I want one side of my blog to be free and one side to be a pay-to-read.

Assume one has a Navigation Tab with two drop down menus. One says Free and the other Paid. Click directly on the Navigation Tab brings up this path.

yourdomain.com/ I am omitting the http: in this example.

Clicking on the Free drop down, one sees this file path.

yourdomain.com/blog/free/ and by clicking on the Paid drop down, the path is similar.

I would like to direct any free blog post to go into this file path.

yourdomain.com/blog/free/name-of-blog-­post/ Instead, all my posts, regardless of free or paid go into this file path.

To separate free and paid blog posts, am I forced into running a Network of two blogs under a single Wordpress? Thank you in advance for your help.

Lowell Herr
PS I met and hired a web designer at the last meeting. A redesign is almost finished and it can be seen at this address. http://itawealthmanag...­
Portland, OR
Post #: 6
I'd say from the sounds of what you're trying to do that running a multisite setup does make sense. You could run the same theme on both the free and the members-only blog, but have a membership plugin installed on the /paid blog.

But no, its not the only way of doing what you want. You could achieve the same effect by separating your posts into "free" and "paid" categories, and using a permalink structure that starts with the category... Look at the options for permalinks (under Settings > Permalinks) and set what you want there. I would recommend something like /blog/%category%/%postname%