addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Portland WordPress Meetup Message Board › Wordpress, HTML, CSS, PHP Instructions

Wordpress, HTML, CSS, PHP Instructions

A former member
Post #: 17
I am a beginner but trying to learn from w3Schools and Thesis Tutorials. I would like to find someone or someplace locally where I can get course instruction. No time for college courses. Need something more compact.

My email is gcelecinc@comcast.net
My phone # is 360-687-8804

Thanks, Gary
Lorelle V.
Lorellev
North Plains, OR
Post #: 18
I'm so sorry no one replied to you. I thought someone would.

http://codeacademy.co...­ is fantastic and probably the first stop.

However, if you are a beginner WordPress user, I speak from great experience and recommend you leave the design elements alone for the first six months to two years of working with WordPress. Focus on the content, publishing, content organization, and strategies around that before you start exploring the design and code side of WordPress. If you do, then when you are really ready for the code, you will know EXACTLY what you want to work on and not mess around with learning things that are honestly a waste of your time.

Good luck with it!
Kathryn D.
user 12816850
Portland, OR
Post #: 6
Hi, there are some good online video tutorials on WP101 http://www.wp101.com/...­
there is a small fee but worth it.

The advice given in the last post is good. By using free themes or premium themes you begin to get a better understanding of WordPress. Then move on to the coding when you are comfortable

Let me know if you need more help

Kathryn
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 50
Gary, what are your goals with WordPress? To use it, use themes, use plugins, or to actually develop custom themes and plugins?

Each of these goals requires different training.
A former member
Post #: 18
Thank you all for your support.

I subscribed to Lynda.com and have been viewing the html, css and Photshop videos. I have learned and been able to start to build the support system for my wife's, Christine, content. The following urls are what I have accomplished.

http://www.ChristinesCountryCorner.com­

http://christinescountrycorner.com/2170-2/­

My goal at this time is to be able to support Christine in showcasing her work and helping to build a business around that. We started this venture last October with Christine's first post after about a month working with 2011. I don't have a clear goal outside of this. I am at the place where I don't know enough to ask the appropriate questions.

I am considering the possibility of maybe eventually doing some website building or something along that line. I am hoping networking with this group will open my eyes to the possibilities. I would like to retire within the next two years from our electrical contracting business and do something else to supplement my Social Security benefits.

Thanks again. I am really looking forward to my involvement in this group and this industry.
Daniel P.
tualatinweb
Tualatin, OR
Post #: 51
Gary,

Thank you for sharing your objectives, there is a lot that you can do with WordPress short of learning any HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP or MySQL. You can use a Premium theme with lots of flexibility to customize the look and feel of your website, or you can search for plugins to add the features that you want.

As an analogy with an automobile, I can learn to drive the car and have it serviced by experts, or I can learn how to change the oil, rotate the tires, or even replace and repair the engine, breaks, transmission and electrical systems.

By learning HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and MySQL you are learning to repair the engine of WordPress.

I've been programming since 1975 and customizing WordPress since 2008 and run my own web development business full-time, and there's something that I learn new about developing for WordPress every single day.

If you have a background in programming, then dive right into learning how to develop for WordPress.

If you want to help run a business, then consider buying a premium theme that does what you want or hiring an expert to complete your project.

If web development is a hobby, then enjoy the journey.