Foodie! Message Board › Those Ancient Caves Up On Mt. St. Helens....

Those Ancient Caves Up On Mt. St. Helens....

Matt M.
user 13560045
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hey folks, I'm finally – FINALLY – getting my butt in gear and actually doing some pre-planning for a trip up to the Ape Caves (i.e.: the lava tubes) on Mt. St. Helens. I'll be headed up to the caves tomorrow (June 9th), to make sure that I've got the directions perfect, to time the hike through the caves, and to also scope out a restaurant or diner on the way.

A few things...

Does anyone have a restaurant recommendation of their own, that they've actually eaten at, that is on the way to the caves? Is so, where? What sort of food? And when was the last time you'd dined there?

Also, can you think of any site-seeing sorts of locations on the way.

When I do the actual scheduled hike, I'll probably end up doing the same hike on two different days, just because I know that this has been a popular and much requested trip. In other words, when I do turn this into an "official" Foodie hike, I'd schedule it for a Saturday and then a Sunday so that a large number of folks could actually experience the caves. Per trip, it would probably be best to limit the group size somewhere between 10 and 15 people.

Folks are welcome to join in on my "non-official" hike to the caves tomorrow but, as a heads up, I'd be leaving Portland at around 7:30 in the morning – getting to the caves by about 9:30/10-ish.

Matt