Foodie! Message Board › No shows are unnaceptable. I need your help Kevin.

No shows are unnaceptable. I need your help Kevin.

Paola
user 9744070
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Colin, Nakia and Kyle did not show period. Not even bothered to send an email about it ( even last minute).
I had a table reserved for 10 and we were only 3. That made me look VERY bad not only with the restaurant but with the Foodie attendees. Susan and Caryn sent an email last minute. However for the no shows I am asking them to please do not show at my events. Kevin, any ideas? This is frustrating and very disrespectful.
Kris
user 53155622
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
I know of an organizer that charges a fee ($10.00 for instance) to RSVP for restaurant type settings. The money is returned to the participant when she or he arrives to the event. This increases the commitment level, reduces the no-shows, and takes the baggage off of event hosts by having to toggle with ill feelings or hard-lining which can foster additional negativity. You can give the ten to the restaurant and just have a clear conscious about the whole thing without undue responsibility for others. It's not my idea but I think charging a returnable fee in certain situations pertaining to restaurant reservations is awesome.
A former member
Post #: 2
Agreed, it may be more difficult, but a paypal charge for an event may be needed. I am on a few meetups including an event host. The ones for reservations are the hardest. We can plan extra and HOPE that there is COURTEOUS folks whole let us know in advance they do not wish to attend. Foodie is more complex with the need to tell a host how many will attend. They need to know how much food to prepare and space to provide. I like the idea of idea of a fee at a minimum. Refunds according to the restaurant expectations in the event would be the best. Otherwise find a substitute. Even theatre or concert events have a staunch expectations that you pay or lose.
Kevin
user 12852378
Group Organizer
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 22
Sorry to hear Paola and this is the reason why I created a foodie etiquette statement and it's included in new member welcome email. (http://www.meetup.com...­)

There hasn't been much of an enforcement of this policy and it seems we are overdue for a gentle reminder to new comers and existing members. (If you have a time, please be my guest and send it out to rest of the group for me)

For the time being, please add some of these etiquette statement in your event posting and let me know if you see repeat offenders for me to follow suit.

We'll discuss this in next organizer meeting, which i haven't done in 6+ months or so....another thing that's overdue. :( Paola, thanks for all your effort and I appreciate all the member inputs on this matter. Let's do better foodies!