The Portland Shiba Inu Meetup Group Message Board › Hey, sorry all...

Hey, sorry all...

Rus
user 3843145
Portland, OR
Post #: 110
...That I haven't been organizing many meetups lately. I've been trying to curb back Mugen's alpha dominance nonsense a little with just a few dogs in smaller parks and closed in areas/on leash stuff. Last time he went out to the meetup, it was really the last straw for me. He's not bad natured and doesn't physically hurt other dogs (I know what he looks like when he's trying to hurt something, and it's way faster and aggressive/less barking than when he scraps...I've had the "pleasure" of watching him kill a rat or two), but he scraps if he gets a reaction that he doesn't like, and honestly, if someone came up to my face and barked, I'd probably give them a bad reaction as well. It was especially difficult because most of the people who showed up were new members and didn't really have very much past experience with him (enough to know that once the rules are set, he calms way down and is friendly and playful). I can't really go around and take pictures and talk with people (because they already hate me and assume that I'm a horrible person because I have a "mean dog"), which kind of makes it awkward to try and things organized.

Anyway, keep suggesting meetups if you guys like, I'll give them a boost and rsvp for them to get them scheduled. He's good on-leash, so we definitely can do some hikes as well.
A former member
Post #: 1
Sounds like our boy, Rishi, which is why we haven't been to a meetup yet (and also because we're down in Eugene), but don't sweat it. I'm sure most shiba families understand.
Jillian
KumaandJillian
Portland, OR
Post #: 26
I love Mugen! He has a great personality and is the cutest :) I don't think he's trying to hurt anyone. And you're always on top of it. I'm sure someone else could take pictures, if that would help.
Logan
user 8997860
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
Mugen really does seem like a good boy, Sen Ten got the snip since you two saw him last so maybe that'll help his attitude. We should have something for this month, I'm watching a beautiful black and tan for Joan Morningstar and would love to get her some socialization! smile
Brianne
user 59918052
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
I have been concerned with Gonzo after our first meetup I was kind of worried about the same thing. I don't want people to think I have a "bad dog" or I am a "bad owner" either. Gonzo is very dominant and if you give him a chance to fight he will take it...I think we all have the same concerns about our shiba's but I think it's just shiba nature...I hope it is anyway because he seems to be fine when he is in his own environment..I would be willing to try another meet to test it out though..