Lloyd E.
user 14128714
Philadelphia, PA
Hello PhillyOpen members!

I hope that 2013 is progressing well for everyone! I would like to send a warm welcome to all new members, and a "what's up!" to all others!

We are in the process of planning meetups and get the "open" engine fired back up. The technological scene is evolving at lightning speed. Keeping up with all the new tech and applications is a challenge, and even more so when you are a developer or designer. The good news is, as things change in tech, they also improve. :)

Our first few meet-ups this year will all fall under a series I am calling Open 101. One of the motivations behind Philly Open is the Open-Source movement that is growing each and every year. In the Open 101 series, we will discuss open technologies like HTML5, PHP, and Javascript and best practices for using them, open devices like Smart TV's, Androids, and Arduinos, and of course build some simple-yet-useful applications with these technologies.

If you are an experienced developer or designer, we welcome you all to contribute! If you are a novice or beginner, fear not; we'll try to keep things organized for you. (Just know that if you find interest in something, there will be a LOT of homework ;)

Following Open 101, we'll dive in to some talks about utilizing Open tech for Business, and discuss great topics like PaaS, CMS, E-Commerce and Mobile-first design.

Check out our sister meet-up group Code for Philly if you are interested in learning about and working on Civic applications.

Stay classy, Philadelphia!

Cheers,

Lloyd