The Boston Philosophy of Mind Group Message Board › Next Meeting
I'm planning our next meeting but need an initial show of hands to see what works best, so please send me your email vote
DATES: Every second Wednesday or Thursday PLEASE VOTE
TIMES: 6:30pm or 7:00pm PLEASE VOTE
Topics in the philosophy of mind are really too interconnected to slice and dice, but I think it's useful to focus the discussion on a single topic each time. This is my very incomplete list of issues I propose we go through at successive meetings:
1. Are qualia "real" and if so, how do we talk about them?
2. How does "meaning" arise? Is it computational?
3. What would passing the Turing Test establish?
4. What does the Chinese Room argument establish?
5. If dualism were true, would we learn anything?
6. Is the notion of free will even meaningful?
PLEASE VOTE on which topic 1-6 you'd like to tackle first, and I'll set up the schedule accordingly. Of course we'll add topics as we go along.
Hope to see you all soon!
Good topics. Its kind of hard to choose, so I'll split my vote: I especially like 1, 2, and 6.
|A former member||
2, 3 and 6 for me. 7pm is better and either day is fine.