addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Denver Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board › The art of raising questions

The art of raising questions

Marc W.
user 31668402
Littleton, CO
Post #: 23
"The job of clever people is to ask difficult questions. The job of very clever people is to ask deceptively simple ones."

The Economist observing the death of economist Ronald Coase Sept. 2013.
Orson
user 3540941
Denver, CO
Post #: 172
I googled the quote and got nearly 78 million hits. But it does not appear to be a quote from Coase - but rather simply the introductory line in the Economist obit on Coase.

Marc - do you, or does anyone, have a couple of paired examples to illustrate Coase's point?

The Coase theorem is counterintuitive. My guess is that the line quoted thereby illustrates it - yet Coase denied that it was important to his work, and rather more to the point appears to be a re-formulation from George Stigler, another economist at Chicago.

http://www.economist....­
Marc W.
user 31668402
Littleton, CO
Post #: 24
Orson, off the top of my head on a fuzzy Saturday morning, I'll give you a simple example.

Tough question (which is both personally challenging and forces an in-depth defense of an existing position) - "Do you REALLY think there is no life after death?"

Simple question (which requires more reflection and opens up thinking to the complexity of alternative views - "What are all the possibilities for life after death?"