The South Bay Photography Meetup Group Message Board › New Event: An evening of sharing photos and techniques

New Event: An evening of sharing photos and techniques

Patrick
PjTraveler
Group Organizer
San Jose, CA
Announcing a new event for The South Bay Photography Meetup Group!

What: An evening of sharing photos and techniques

When: Thursday, February 16, 8:00 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Event Description: I have been remiss; I and most everyone I've talked with has wanted a venue for sharing photos and talking about technique. Finally I have a place and time.

Please bring photos (or laptops) to share and questions to ask. You should probably consider what type of feedback you would like on your photos and be prepared to let people know what you are comfortable with. Similarly you should consider what type of feedback you can provide. There are several types of feedback that I can think of including
-polite smiles and ata boys
-What it is that works for you in the photo
-Comments on composition
-Comments on technique (either behind the camera or in post processing)
-What sorts of other options might have worked and why (this is a slippery slope toward being negative)

Whatever the feedback remember to ask yourself, how would you like to be on the receiving end of the feedback.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new faces.

If this works out well, then I would like to make it a monthly event.

Regards,
Patrick

Learn more and RSVP here:
http://photo.meetup.c...­
A former member
Post #: 10
In his "Teaching Photography" (available through PhotoEye), Philip Perkis has some suggestions on group critiques, where the goal is:

...my assumption is that all of us have a direction to go in and we have to find that direction through the process of working in a medium, with intelligence, [over time].

If I accept this concept, then the only issue is how [the group] can help a person find and go in that direction.

A few rules and principles and principles that are quite strict:
* No rudeness
* No competition
* No telling the artist what the work means about them (a critique is not psychotherapy)
* The group chooses what work will be talked about. (Memebers should feel free to ask that their work be dealt with because they need feedback). No need to address every work in everey session.

The person whose work is being addressed can answer factual questions in the beginning, i.e., where the picture was made, what film, lens, etc. They can say nothing about the intention, content, or other meaning. At this time, the rest of the group can say anything they like about the work, be it craft, aesthetics, politics, art history, etc. They are free to say anything. They can report associations in their minds, dreams, and fantasies, as long as it's about the work and not the person who made the work.

Something very interesting starts to take place if this is done with openness and intelligence; the photographer is getting real information about what their work is communicating to a group of people who are being as honest and caring as possible. This information is for them and they can do whatever they want to do with it. The work never has to be defended, justified, or explained....

The sole purpose is to gain insight....