addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The South Bay Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Mentor program for photographers

Mentor program for photographers

A former member
Post #: 113
Hey SBP,

I've been interested in creating some kind of mentor program for photographers in the group. It would involve pairing people up (inexperienced person with much more experienced person) and having the more experienced person help the inexperienced person with their images. Something that I would like to see would be helpful critique of either person's photos on a one-on-one basis and also to just discuss photography in general. The mentor teams can meet during the monthly coffee social, or separately on their own schedules.

I must stress that if you want to sign up for this, that you must be courteous and respectful of the other photographer's time.

Next Wednesday, during the October Social, I plan to discuss the mentor program and would like to ask for volunteers who would be interested in signing up initially just to see how it goes. If you cannot make it to the meeting, but are interested, please reply to this thread or send me a PM.

Reese
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Reese,

I am brand new to this group and to photography. I would LOVE to find a mentor and would be extremely interested in participating in this if it goes forward.

Nikki
Michael W.
MWhitePhoto
Campbell, CA
Post #: 18
If anyone has seen my photos on this meetup group or career mentoring (http://photo.meetup.c...­, flickr (http://www.flickr.com...­) or picasa (http://picasaweb.goog...­) and feels like they can learn something, I'm open to it. If anyone has looked at my stuff and feels like I have potential and can teach me something, I'm open to that too.
PH
P_H_Yang
Hong Kong, HK
Post #: 108
Hi

I'm interested in the Mentor program but I can't make it to the meeting.

You can see some of my work at my website.

I'm would like to learn from an experienced/professional photog and am open to be a mentor if someone thinks s/he can learn something from me.

Cheers
PH
Rafa
user 3760117
San Jose, CA
Post #: 45
I'm interested too, both as a mentor and a mentee.

Rafa
A former member
Post #: 13
You know, I really feel like it might be worthwhile to organize shoots -- ANY shoots -- where some people shoot and others assist. Observing other people's approaches -- making it the GOAL of the effort -- is (imo) the very very best way to inform your own process...

my devalued $0.02
kb
A former member
Post #: 117
Ok guys, I've thought about the whole mentor program thing a bit more and this is what I've come up with:

• The program will require at least a 6 month commitment
  • You can sign up as a mentor or a mentee for the 6 months and then switch after if you'd like
  • You must meet with your partner at least once a month, whether it's at a group session, or a self-organised shoot
  • I'll probably ask people for feedback at 3 months and then again at the end of the 6 months to improve the next cycle
  • I'd like to start this in January 2009, so I will be making up a small questionnaire to help me pair people together
  • Pairing will be based on favourite subjects to shoot (I will not pair a fashion photographer with a landscaper)
  • A pair can agree to terminate the partnership during the time, but cannot sign up again to be a mentor/mentee until the next cycle.

What do you guys think?

Reese
A former member
Post #: 2
I would also like to sign up as a mentee.

Shilpi
Michael W.
MWhitePhoto
Campbell, CA
Post #: 22
I can't wait! sounds like you've given a lot of thought to it and came up with a workable plan. I'll probably sign up as a mentor on the first go-round
A former member
Post #: 119
I'm glad you guys are excited. I'll draft up a short questionnaire and send it out to the group soon!

Reese