addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Francisco Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Scanning slides/film

Scanning slides/film

Closed to new replies

Deanne
user 11645872
El Cerrito, CA
Post #: 17
I'm hoping to find local recommendations for: having 500+ slides scanned (prefer dropping off in person to shipping out, that’s the local part of the equation here); renting a high-end scanner (as in Nikon 9000 or similar) to do the scanning at home; or renting time on a high-end scanner at a company/store site in the Bay Area. Has anyone done any of the above recently?

Thanks for any tips, Deanne
Gregory G.
user 6868617
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Deanne,
There are lots of options; here a just a few. First would be to try Rayko in San Francisco. They have a one day class in scanning and after which you can rent their scanners (although scanning 500+ slides is a huge and very long process). Their top end scanner rents for $47 an hour but you can buy 15 hours for $20 an hour. I used it once and found it overkill, as I am not a professional. Rayko also does scanning for you as part of their service bureau operation. There are, of course, other service bureaus. I have found Lightwaves in San Francisco to be very good -- although I mostly now use them only for developing my color film which I then scan myself. With 500+ slides using either a service bureau or renting a scanner is apt to be a rather costly affair. Your better option is to buy a scanner and do it yourself. I too have 500+ slides for potential scanning so I have purchased my own scanner. Scanners sell from under $100 to several $1000s and I am sure the quality varies greatly. I had a Nikon scanner which was good, but I sold it because it couldn't handle 120 film which I now use a lot, which should not be a problem for you. However, Nikon has stopped making scanners although you can still buy them. I have an Epson V700 which is what they use at the San Francisco Art Institute. It sells for $545 on Amazon. I am satisfied with mine. Hope this info is of some help. But be aware of the huge size of your project -- judicious editing will help. If you want to talk further about this let me know -- and I am sure others will also have advise for you.
Greg

Deanne
user 11645872
El Cerrito, CA
Post #: 18
Greg,
Thank you for the information. I should have mentioned, as you’ve deduced, that this is all 35mm. It is a big project. Just looking at the pre-digital slide/neg/print collection gives me an “I’ll think about that tomorrow” moment. Good advice to plan on editing down each image set first.

The one-day scanning class at Rayco sounds like a good place to start. It would improve the odds of any scanning I do only needing to be done once, instead of realizing half way through that I should have done some aspect of it differently. It could also make it easier to decide how I want to handle my project, renting or buying a scanner.

Thank you for the help,

Deanne