addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Francisco Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Visiting SF late July for 2 weeks would like your advice :)

Visiting SF late July for 2 weeks would like your advice :)

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 6
Hi Fellow Photogs. Im from Australia and will be visiting SF in later July and have found some amazing images from your great city. I also found alot of comments about theft and snatch n grab muggings etc.

As a avid photographer I dont want to have my gear stolen especially while on holidays ;)

Could you help point me in the right direction of places to avoid showing your camera in public.
We are staying close to Union Square in the city and will be on foot for the first few days before hiring a car to visit Yosemite in August.

My early plans for SF include visiting Central Waterfront inside abandoned warehouses, GG bridge hilltops for early morning fog shots when dark as well as down on the beach at the base of the bridge.

Im not clear on the exact location names yet, slowly but surely ;)

Any personal experiences or help with the above would be much appreciated.

Thanku
Mr C

Gavin
user 90419572
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi:

I guess the likelihood of such criminality occurring might depend on a couple of factors:

Do you have a lot of photo equipment you'll be lugging around? If not, obviously you become less of a target.

If you are staying near Union Square, you will be near an area called the Tenderloin. I have never ever had a problem there day or night (touch wood) with a camera or without. However, you need to pay attention to what's going on in that 'hood. There are a lot of poor people who live there; lots of immigrants...and there is nothing wrong with that.

However, there is a population of folks wandering about that have mental issues; substance abuse issues and combinations thereof. There are also a collection of stupid people with nothing to do and are looking for opportunities. I've never had a problem with them either. Pay attention.

Waving phones or cameras around in crowded areas, particular around transit hubs in the downtown /market street area is probably something to be mindful of.

I think if you pay attention and use good sense, you'll be fine.