The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Shameless Advertising Board › Archive: Original Shameless Board

Archive: Original Shameless Board

Closed to new replies

Tara
user 13398424
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
A couple of my photos were shortlisted for the Metro Global Photo Challenge. If you like either of them, I would appreciate the votes!! Thanks! biggrin tlml78...('Watchful) With Eyes Wide Open and (Tension) Waiting on Thunder).

The shortlist of the best 30 photos in the Metro Global Photo Challenge has been announced! They were selected by the panel of judges chaired by Ajoy Pinto. Now it’s your turn to select the best of the best! Vote in two easy steps: Log in at metrophotochallenge.ca Vote for the best photo in each of three categories!

http://www.metrophoto...­

A former member
Post #: 40
Hi. I wanted let meetup members know that we have just started our Christmas sale @ StudioBin

We are having a huge sale and pricing is probably the cheapest you will find in Canada.

We have light stands starting @ $14.99, Umberllas starting @ $9.99 and softbox starting @ $54.99. We also have lighting kit for $499.99.

Happy Holidays

StudioBin
www.studiobin.com
Michael S.
MichaelSchmidt
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 11
Christmas Special On Giclee Canvas Printing. Hurry Before it's Gone!!

Hey guys

I recently started working for some friends that run a custom framing company. They do wholesale work for a lot of the retail galleries around town, and the also have a couple of retail locations as well. They do very good work for a very reasonable price- whether it be giclee printing, canvas transferring, or custom framing.

My employers have decided to run a bit of a Christmas special for giclee printing. Essentially, you would provide us with a digital image and we would giclee print it for you on a 16x20 canvas. The price will be $39.00.

It’s a screaming deal, and might even be a tad less than our regular wholesale rate.

If you are unfamiliar with the process of giclee, a brief description is written below, along with details on how to take advantage of this particular Christmas special.

I’ve had several of my own pieces done through them, and they all look great! Of course, starting off with a great photo didn’t hurt!! 

If you’re familiar with Groupon, a Toronto company recently ran a similar offer (supposedly at 60% off their regular pricing) for a sale price of $69.00. That’s about 60% more than our sale price. London Drugs is also offering the same product for $79.00. Unfortunately, they quality of their work is lacking; the inks they use are inferior and simply won’t last in the long term

Ours is a limited time offer, so if you’re looking for a great way to display a photo, giclee’s on canvas look fantastic. Obviously, a giclee’d photo would make a very nice, very personal Christmas gift.

Here are the details. It really is a fantastic offer, so don’t wait if you’re interested!!

First of all, if you’re not aware of the term, what specifically is a Giclee? (pronounced "zhee-clay")

In Digital Printing, microscopic ink droplets are precisely positioned onto a surface. In French, Giclee means "to spray ink". The quality of giclee printing is so fine that it is often used to render museum-quality reproductions suitable for close examination. 

We produce our canvas giclee’s using 100% cotton, archival canvases and printed with archival inks. A protective liquid laminate is machine applied, leaving a rich even finish. Many other companies will hand apply or spray their protective coatings, and sometimes they turn out to be very noticeably uneven. Not so with ours. The canvas giclee is then stretched taut over a Hemlock custom fitted bar. A lot of stretcher bars currently being used are made out of pine, and again don’t always last too long. Hemlock is a far superior material, and will last considerably longer.

So why would you choose a canvas giclee over a canvas transfer (transferring a print onto canvas)??? For these reasons:

1. It’s Museum Quality
2. It’s easy to clean with a slightly damp cloth
3. It’s lightfast over 100 years when kept out of direct sunlight
4. It can be produced in any proportionate size up to 57" wide
5. It can be hung with or without a frame

Here’s how the submission and production process works:

Provide us your digital file. You can do this by email, or by dropping it off with myself (West End of Vancouver), or dropping it off at one of our locations (Langley and Surrey). In order for the file to print properly, we need a minimum file size of 1600x2000 Pixels, or approx. 1MB file. Jpeg, RAW or TIFF files are best. Your digital file will be reviewed by our photo shop technician who will correct obvious problems such as red eye, background noise, speckling, etc. The image will then be printed on canvas and stretched onto a 3/4” bar, ready to hang. In order to produce a 16x20 canvas, some cropping may occur, depending on the original size and exact proportions of your file. 

In order to take advantage of this great Christmas offer, the deal must be purchased by December 24, 2010. This is done through the website.

In order to have your artwork ready for Christmas please place your order no later than December 15 2010. 

You have up until June 30, 2011 to submit your digital file for printing.

If you email us your digital file along with your order, you will be contacted within 24 business hours with confirmation of completion date.

Your orders may be picked up at our Surrey or Langley locations or, for just $10 + HST, we can ship through Canada Post anywhere within Metro Vancouver. Special arrangements may also be made with me to deliver your item to you personally. This will depend on where you are located, and also on my schedule for that particular day/week. I’m happy to do it if I’m able to.

Like I said guys, it’s a screaming deal. Take advantage of it while you can.

To purchase, please go to www.urban-art.ca, and click on the bright red button that says “Special Web Deal”. All of the instructions will follow.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Merry Christmas guys.

Michael

Lorenzo Z.
user 13553470
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 4
You Have Only Until Midight Tonight- December 24th- To Take Advantage of Our Giclee Special

Turn your photos into a 16 " x 20 " Giclee canvas stretched and ready to hang for only $ 39.00 smile Everyone is well aware of Groupon who just promoted the same deal at $ 69.00 and if you run off to London Drugs they will charge you $ 79.00. For an extra $ 10.00 we will ship the stretched canvas or you can come into one of our locations and pick it up and take a look at our custom framing services and Art work. We are also looking for new imagery to be part of our Urban Collection so send us an email with a web jpg of images of your favorite shots.

Take a look for the web deal and our Urban Collections at www.urban-art.ca

Merry Christmas.
Chris P.
ChristopherPike
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 8
Hi everyone,
My name is Christopher Pike. I am a Professional photographer, event organizer, and teacher.
I organize one or two photography workshops per month. Everything from 101 DSLR photography to Creative Studio Lighting workshops. I love teaching and sharing what I know. All of our workshops, at this point are under $50 and usually run 4 hours. We hire great models and talented MUAs for all our Full Workshops.

Take a look at the past meetups to get a feel for what kind of shoots we do.

http://www.meetup.com...­

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Christopher

David S.
David_Smith_tog
West Vancouver, BC
Post #: 20
To Bruce, Meetup Assistant Organzer

Thanks for organizing the Meetup on my Travel Photography Today
presentation at the West Vancouver Memorial Library on Nov. 6,
2011. It was well attended and I appreciate your support and
the many positive comments from the Meetup members who
attended. I look forward to participating again with your
Meetup.

As you know the presentation was videotaped and I am pleased to
report that a 2 hour DVD of that presentation is available for
shipping next week. The DVD covers basic travel photography,
traveling with your camera, camera setting tips, creative
travel photography and more tips and sharing techniques.

The cost of the DVD is $ US25 and I can offer free shipping and
handling (a $ US10 savings) on an exclusive basis to all Meetup
members. More Information and how to order this DVD online
with free shipping is here: http://bit.ly/ijMauz...­

As many attendees asked to be notified when the DVD becomes
available, I post this information on the Meetup Message Board

Happy New Year and the best of 2011 to all!

David Smith
www.imagebyinterface.com­
Confusion C.
user 3160827
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 217
Fusion 2011
It will come as no surprise to those in the photographic industry that we are on the verge of a major shift in the way we see and effectively use our DSLRs. The addition of video to the list of functions of a DSLR has opened up a world of possibilities. From small scale documentaries to large scale TV productions, and even some Hollywood features, DSLR video is beginning to shape the way we see the world.

Fusion 2011 is a one day trade show and seminar held at the campus of VanArts Institute at 570 Dunsmuir Street Vancouver. The event will be highlighted by 3 speakers who are experts in their own fields. Once in the morning and then repeating again in the afternoon, the speakers will talk about their own unique experiences, sharing their knowledge and talking about the gear they use.

Speakers
Bebb Studios: innovators in the field of fusion Steve and Jenn Bebb have used sound and video in their work and have won numerous awards for their wedding photography.

Brian Hutchison: from Apple Canada will give an introduction to the power and depth of Final Cut Pro. Priceless for those who are new to video editing or those who want to learn more. Sponsored by Simply computing.

Kevin Shahinian: Sponsored by Cinevate. Award-winning filmmaker and graduate of the USC School of Cinematic Arts. He recently traveled to India to film “City of Lakes”. Kevin is also the founder of Pacific Pictures, a film production company based in Los Angeles.

Gear
The trade show will feature all the coolest gear for DSLR video you’d love to get your hands on. Cinevate, Canon, Nikon, Matthews, Lensbaby, Manfrotto, Genus, Marshall Pro AV, K5600 Lighting, Broncolor, Røde Mics, Hoodman, Steadicam, Litepanels, Simply Computing with Apple products and a whole lot more.

Schedule & Pricing
It will be a fun, full day event with product demos and over $1,000.00 in prizes to be given away. As well, VanArts will be announcing their new courses for students who want to seriously pursue a career in the DSLR video industry.

If you are interested in making the transition from DSLR still to DSLR video or have begun this transition and need to know more about the cameras, rigs, grip, software, sound recording and lighting equipment necessary to achieve more professional results, this is the show for you!

Speaker Subject AM Session PM Session
Bebb Studios Wedding Fusion 9:00am-10:00am 1:30pm-2:30pm
Brian Hutchison Final Cut Pro 10:15am-11:15am 2:45pm-3:45pm
Kevin Shahinian DSLR Film Making 11:30am-12:30pm 4:00pm-5:00pm

Doors open for registration at 8:30am.

Note: Speakers may be subject to change. Please arrive at least 10 minutes before sessions start. Seating is limited and there will be no admittance after a session starts! Over $1,000 in door prizes will be awarded!

Ticket prices (HST extra)
Trade Show only: $10
Trade Show and Speakers: $20 each or all three for $50
Trade Show and Speakers: $15 each or all three for $40 (students)

To reserve tickets, or for more info, contact Ken Shymka at 604-734-7771 or email him at prosales@beauphoto.com

Tickets are available at Beau Photo in advance (recommended!) or at the door, if they are not sold out.

http://mikemander.blo...­
Trish
VanPhoto
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 447
Here's a note from Tom M. sent to me via email...

Next week, as part of the Burnaby Photographic Society's annual
showcase, a friend of mine is putting on a seminar on doing
time lapse video using DSLR's. This is Dan Newcomb, and with
his brother they have made some stunning time lapse videos
around Vancouver, one of which was broadcast on the CTV news
because of its striking portayal of our city. Anyway here is
the link to the Facebook event he posted:
http://www.facebook.c...­ and this
is the time lapse featured on CTV. It's simply stunning:
http://www.youtube.co...­

http://www.burnabypho...­

I think some of our meetup would be interested. Tickets $10 at
the door.
Peter H
user 11473968
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 15
Hi Photographers
Some of you have shown an interest in shooting models in a studio setting.

‘GreaTaste Photo’, organizes workshops giving us opportunities to shoot lovely models at an affordable cost. The next model shoot is February 5th; it’s called “Pin Up Retro”.
I love the 1950,s and 1960,s style pin up shots. I have worked with some of these models before on other workshops and they are fantastic.

Check out his ‘Meet Up’ at:
[url=http://www.meetup.com/GreaTastePh­oto/[/url]

You might have to join to view photos from the past events.

Yes, I have done several of his workshops.
Models in a studio environment are difficult to find at a reasonable cost.
These sessions are fun photo shoots and not ‘courses’. They facilitate models, lights, locations, MUA’s, etc. The experienced photographers there try and help out the newer ones, if they ask.
And we just have a lot of fun working with the models.
Great atmosphere to learn new techniques by exchanging with other photographers..
And I always get some great shots for my portfolio on ‘Flickr’.

Basically, I’m just trying to share this fun experience with other photographers who have expressed an interest in shooting models in a studio environment.
Come join us, it’s a lot of fun.

Peter H
Lorenzo Z.
user 13553470
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 5
You provide the digital image and we'll print it using archival K3 inks onto fine art Canvas with a protective UV liquid laminate coating. Stretched over a wooden frame, ready to hang only $ 25.00 for a 12" x 16". London Drugs is running an ad for $ 69.00 for the same size with no UV coating. Please go to www.urban-art.ca and click onto the web deal to participate.