addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board Messages from the Organizer › Recap - Telephoto Lense Presentation

Recap - Telephoto Lense Presentation

Trish
TrishR
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 50
Hi everyone,

The presentation last Tuesday night on Telephoto Lenses was a special evening for all who attended.

Not two but four members of the Beau Photo team came out to support the event, including a rare appearance by Beau's gracious owner Mr. Evangelos "Angie" Apostolides.

Mike Mander, manager of the digital imaging dept at Beau, gave an inspiring and informative talk surprisingly augmented by an impressive array of extraordinary telephoto lenses (ranging in market price from $4,000 to $10,000) shipped the day before from Calgary by Canon Canada, Inc., and a special lense donated for the event by Nikon.

Mike presented lenses (many of them from the floor at Beau and some of them Mike's own) and he discussed comparisons between all the lenses and answered questions along the way. All questions were answered succinctly and added to the natural flow of the presentation, which made it that much more enjoyable.

Marc Koegel closed the evening with a lecture on the use of telephoto lenses for control of depth of field which he'd coordinated beforehand with Mike and illustrated using Mike's beautiful wildlife shots that he'd produced for the event as 18x24" prints.

Not only was it inspiring and informative, it was a pretty special evening. Thanks to the Beau Photo team and especially Mike Mander, the reps at Canon and Nikon, Vancouver Photo Workshops and especially Marc Koegel. (If anyone is interested in viewing the thank-you letters I sent to all these folks, let me know.)

Mike is an avid wildlife photographer and we've invited him to join our group. He's accepted and may come out to an occasional field trip. In the meantime, view Mike's photography at his site: http://www.sublimepho...­

Please note: a small handful of members at the event found the presentation too technical. As a result we're considering more learning experiences... some of which will be targeted to those who would like learning to be a little less technical.

Thanks to all who came out and for everyone's support in making events like this happen.

Trish
--
A former member
Post #: 9
Thanks Trish for this summary. I think it is nice to hear how these events go, especially when you wanted to go but couldn't make it! I'm sure I wasn't the only one in this situation either.

The link is great. Now I wish I could have only made it out!