The Vancouver Photography Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › wow really good deal on Tamron 18-270

wow really good deal on Tamron 18-270

Webb Y.
user 21265221
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 2
Hi Susan, if you need to reach 300mm (that's 450mm in your D7000), you need to have safety shutter speed of 1/1000 (I would go 1/1600, because your car is moving also), so you will need to raise camera ISO which will kill some details (especially if you shoot jpeg). In order to preserve as much details as possible you need a lens that can open up for more light (wider aperture), and sharp at wide open too. Tamron 18-270 PZD is soft once you past 150mm range, you really need F8-11 at 270mm to get decent sharpness. That's too much light lost in my opinion. If I were you I would keep your current setup to cover short range, and rent another combo for long reach. Something like D7000 and Nikon 200-400/4 would be good, if 200-400/4 is not available you can also rent 300/2.8 VR prime plus 1.4x teleconverter.

Aside from equipment, there is an excellent Wildlife Photography book by Uwe Skrzypczak which covers everything from planning, equipment, shooting technique, etc. Highly recommended stuff.

Good luck and have fun!
Susan
user 8699164
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 14
thanks...ok now I have a really STUPID question...sorry if it's a really stupid newbie question!! You may laugh now if you liike... :)

So now that I have the Tamron 18-270mm, is my old Nikon 18-105mm kit lens obsolete? I don't know if the Tamron's IQ is better and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to tell..

I'm wondering if I can/should sell the 18-105mm Nikkor to get more ammunition for something else :)
Russ K.
user 3929906
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 385
Personally, I wouldn't keep two lenses with such an overlap of focal lengths. That said, all lenses have a personality, and you may find that the Nikon is better at some of the focal lengths than the Tamron - and vice versa. Also, all lenses behave differently at different aperture/focal length combinations - you will likely notice differences in sharpness, contrast and colour saturation - and the two lenses will each have different characteristics. If there are significant differences, and each is better than the other at certain things, you'll have to decide for yourself whether or not to keep both. See? There never is an easy answer to anything. cheers, Russ
Webb Y.
user 21265221
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 3
While I fully agree what Russ said, if you can't tell the difference at everyday shooting, then you can sell Nikon 18-105 I guess. Likely the Tamron is just as sharp (or even sharper) within the same range, maybe there is more distortion but you can always correct that in post. Anything over 150mm is considered "bonus". I actually had Sigma 18-250 OS HSM before and in my Hawaii vacation it was the only lens I took. I got quite a few good shots from it at 250mm/f8 setting.