Photography Lessons Message Board › My next camera?

My next camera?

Dave C.
DaveColbert
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 58
Brand new to photography. Gave up my motorcycle, as a Senior, and decided to find a safer, less expensive hobby. Something that is relatively easy to participate in, but rather difficult to get rather good at. Something that you could always improve. I'm pretty sure it is safer, but I now understand it may not be totally inexpensive.
Without knowing anything, I opted for a new Olympus SP-720 UZ ($349) on a Black Friday Special for $149. After two meetups and trying my hand at taking decent photos, I understand that this camera is very limited. Especially, in low light, indoor applications. I love to go dancing at places like Tuxedo Junction, and Loafer's - and when they dim the lights, and I try to take pictures of friends Shag or Swing dancing ( movement), I can NEVER get a clear picture. The slow shudder speed (lack of manual adjustment other than ISO) to pull in enough light, and the movement of dance. Ssooo, within a reasonable budget, what equipment is my next purchase - to be able to take this sort of photography, as well as improve the clarity and adjustability (the availability of some auto and the option for manual) on other types. Thanks, in advance for any advice/tips.
A former member
Post #: 9
Dave

For the needs you described, you are looking at a small/inconspicuous and at the same time a lens that is wide open.
DSLRS are big. So, they are too obvious. Also, since their sensors are also big, a wide open lens for these may be expensive.

And so, while looking for a camera, you may want to look at options like F/2.0 lens, ISO 50 onwards, small size. Panasonic makes decent cameras with a good amount of manual control. LX5 (2-3 years old) is one such model. This will meet your price point.

If inter-changeable lens is your need (price will also go up) Panasonic, Fuji and Olympus make some nice cameras. I am referring to the new/mirror-less camera offerings. Samsung has released some new models but I have not seen one in action.

hth ... Palani
Dave C.
DaveColbert
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 61
Absolutely, Palani., and thanks for your reply I have been reading all I can about the new Mirrorless cameras; and watching U-Tube comparisons. I am interested in the new Olympus OM-E-5, the Lumix GH3, and Sony NEX6. So far my fav. is the Olympus, and can be purchased on-line for about $949 new, or $1,199 in kit form with one lens. I think I need two lenses, at least, to start - what do you think would be the best two.
A former member
Post #: 10
Hi Dave

I use Oly E-5 and so, kinda partial to Olympus. The good thing about Olympus offerings is that they offer only two models E-5 (about 2-3 years old) and OM-D EM-5 which is about a year old. There are talks for a E-5 replacement soon. What this means is that all the features that you want is all crammed into 1 model.

EM-5 is a nice little and at the same time, a powerful camera. I have seen some very nice pictures. Here is a good starting point for you
http://myolympus.org/...­

If you have made up your mind about EM-5, kindly consider joining a Yahoo! group by the name of myolympus. You are likely to receive a very analytical feedback on the lens recommendations from this group.
http://tech.groups.ya...­

hth ... Palani