Pit Bull Classes & Events by Chako, Sacramento region Message Board › Sacramento County Animal Shelter in desperate need of volunteers

Sacramento County Animal Shelter in desperate need of volunteers

A former member
Post #: 201
(crossposting message below)

Friends,

We have an URGENT need for volunteer help at the Sacramento County Animal Shelter.
TODAY there are 273 cats and 132 dogs at the shelter!!! Yesterday, 70 animals came in the front door.

As you may know, the shelter has been hit HARD by budget cuts. Obviously our Board of Supervisors feel that animals are at the bottom of the barrel. As of July 3rd, there will be 2 kennel workers to clean, feed, water, give basic daily needs to the animals in our 44,000 square foot shelter. This same staff has to deal with animal adoptions, euthanizing animals, treating sick animals, dealing with the public, intaking animals (remember 70 animals came in yesterday and this happens EVERYDAY)! 15,000 animals a year come through the doors. I can't tell you how much work there is to do at the shelter and it's not humanly possible for 2 people to get it done.

Staff is stressed to say the least. They will be at their breaking point if we don't do something to help them. PLEASE....if you can spare a few hours a week to help by coming in to love the animals, walk the dogs, play with the cats, feed them, make sure they have toys, water and clean kennels and litter boxes. If you have skill in TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS for the web site, or can sew to make beds for the animals. We need help with adoptions and greeting the public to show them around the shelter (it's a big place and people get lost). Anything you can do will make a difference. We need people who will commit to coming on a regular basis so we can get some consistency in scheduling so staff knows they can count on us. If you haven't attended the volunteer orientation, the next one has not been scheduled yet but will take place at the end of July. Please see the link on the web site for more details http://www.msa2.sacco...­

I've heard many people say "I can't go in there it's too sad," or "I can't do it because I'll want to take them all home." It breaks my heart to hear those words because the reality is if WE don't do something, WHO will?
It IS sad sometimes and you DO want to take them all home BUT, without us the animals will have no one. They certainly don't have our local government on their side. We have to continue to fight for them. We are their voice. Please consider volunteering AND fostering, and making a difference.

Thanks for listening and please spread the word.
www.saccountyshelter.net

Barbara Bowen-Doty
www.lapcats.org
Support your local animal shelters and rescues.
ADOPT and always Spay & Neuter!