The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Male kiwi plant died ?

Male kiwi plant died ?

Nicky A.
user 11391029
Portland, ME
Post #: 13
Lisa - sounds like ours. I thought for sure they were the little kiwis - & was so excited to finally get some. Now the ground is littered with them. I saw & heard plenty of bee activity in the flowers so I don't think pollination was a problem - at least not this year.

We have never pruned our young lady & she is HUGE. We're going to have to extend her arbor. The male is not as vigorous but he's younger too (wonder if that is a factor? :) )

The last time I was at Avena Botanicals in Rockport (2010 I think), they had a huge kiwi crop. I'm going to call Deb & see what their secret is!
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 314
My kolomitka is indeed throwing up new seedlings around the parent plant. I would propagate some but they are too close to other plants and I'm not sure of the gender of the plants.
The last 2 springs gave us late frosts that damaged my arctic kiwis, so no fruit either year. They do recover from these frosts well; as far as foliage is concerned.
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 315
Hey Larry,

Yeah! Get yourself another ARCTIC Kiwi male. I've noticed people don't seem to differentiate between the Hardy kiwi: arguta, and the arctic kiwi: kolomitka....so make sure you have the right species for pollination :)
The female will be quite happy without a male around....forever...but she won't produce any fruit for you :)
I believe the male should be around 10 feet away. It can be further, but ...why? Unless you have several females to pollinate.
I noticed the arctic kiwi is not very happy with wet feet, so I would berm up the new plant: make a nice mound of soil to raise the plant's roots out of the sodden ground....orrrr....do some drainage of the ground, lol. (berming is usually easier unless you have a lot of planting in the area)