David P.
user 12824007
South Portland, ME
Post #: 5
Thank you for the thoughtful and caring comments on this basic society-wide crucial problem.

There is some 2010 work on hunger by a Food Security (a/k/a Hunger) Coalition in Cumberland County, and a report which shows the worsening severity of the problem, the tie-in of hunger with food systems, local food, resilience, and permaculture concepts, as well as some recommendations and resources:

http://www.letsgo.org...­

The report did not go as far as it could have to show how vulnerable we all are, even those with a few dollars in their pockets, to the prospect of hunger - owing to our current monocultural, long-distant food system.

But you have to start someplace....

A former member
Post #: 11
David,
Thank you for your contribution to the conversation. I have just started to read the report, so I don't yet know how it may or may not inform our mission. As tedious as it may be data collection and analysis will inevitably be a part of developing a successful program to meet our goal.
I urge each of us to read the report and to assess its value.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 1,978
Hi All, I've been off-line for a few days and just picking up this thread again. I think it would be a great idea to organize a session (even a preliminary brainstorm or whatever we are passionate about and think can move this forward) on this topic to elevate the conversation and action accordingly.

Sue, Kerry and all...feel free to reply here or email me off-list to organize dates/times/locations for whatever comes next. Lots of people working on "food security issues" but our strength is the "doing it" part in terms of building household and neighborhood level skills and capacity to feed ourselves to as great a degree as possible.
David P.
user 12824007
South Portland, ME
Post #: 6
Good thoughts, Lisa.

It reminded me that in the Food Security Coalition/Campaign (the report of which I mentioned in a prior post) I was struck by how few of the 60 plus Coalition members were actually providing services, including food and systems to provide food to the less fortunate, as opposed to study, research, discussion and policy ideas for public officials.

Second, in this age of shrinking public and private resources, macro thinking, and compromised (or outright corrupt) "leadership", how few members recognized (or if they did were willing to promote) the importance of local, neighborhood and household systems and action to help ourselves and our neighbors, friends and family to become more self-reliant.
A former member
Post #: 12
Recently Dave Jacke wrote:

"If we preach a new paradigm but do not embody that paradigm in the manner in which we propagate that paradigm, we will not propagate what we think we are propagating."

For me the operative word is "embody" or as Lisa said, "doing it".
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 1,980
Yes, alot of our members are "doing it," as in rolling up their sleeves and growing food and experimenting (and being brave enough to fail in the process of learning!) with different methods. While we may not all have neighborhood support systems for doing this together, I believe that is the future direction we need to consider. Building skills at the personal and household level is good, but all the more effective when we can also be building peer-to-peer support systems in our own neighborhoods and towns. (i.e. things that will still work when the interwebs and the fossil fuels becomes less tenable support structures).

We must embody and/or work toward embodying the work that's needed in the world.
A former member
Post #: 13
Bonny Branch sent this link: http://www.ted.com/ta...­, and I found the website: http://our.windowfarm...­
A former member
Post #: 14
A former member
Post #: 16
A former member
Post #: 26
As Mr. Buffet said," When the tide goes out, you find out who's been swimming naked."

http://www.bloomberg....­