The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Apparently Peak Oil is Over

Apparently Peak Oil is Over

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,176
Just kidding. But there is alot of chatter about this lately.

Following George Monbiot's thought-provoking piece,
...we get Richard Heinberg with http://energybulletin...­

... and even more fascinating is Dmitry Orlov's http://cluborlov.blog...­

Set aside some time for reading this if you can. While I prefer to roll up my sleeves and make things happen, I also need to dip my toes into this heady stuff to help make sense of things. Lots of interesting perspectives.
Burl H.
burl-hall
Sabattus, ME
Post #: 77
I read the Heinberg piece and wrote a response....not sure if it went through or not. I get concerned about these reductionistic "pissing matches" regarding peak oil. Peak oil is one piece in a great big holographic mess which includes the political, economic, educational, health and welfare mess that we have. We the people have allowed ourselves to be too dependent on a gov't that is ruled by the corporations. We don't live in democracy....we live in essence within a feudal system where the landowners rule the King and us. How many brave souls reading this "own" their house? How many rent or have a 15-30 year mortgage, which makes the land "theirs." HOw many move before the mortgage is paid, or how many that may stick it out die and then the bank gets the land again? Who owns the world?

Aside from that, when we look at the impact of fossil fuel, we are also looking at pollution, life styles that are harried and which has allowed for parents being taken out of the home leaving kids to be raised by institutions or strangers, and lower qualities of life. Can we say going to a shopping mall is a high quality experience over spending time with your child or having a romantic evening with your spouse? Can we bite off the proverbial figleaf and see each other as we truly are? Or are we going to continue being addicted to oil, shop-till-you drop behaviors, standardized education systems as well as standardized corporate farms while living in a linear system that disempowers us.

We can no longer afford revolting against the system.....revolting is about revolving not evolving. It is time that we get off the merry-go-round.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 884
OK, suppose peak oil is over. I remember entering college in 1969 and the message at that time was that there was only enough oil for the next 30 years. That was wrong.

OK, so the good news is that we can burn all this oil and put the gases into the atmosphere. Good plan. Or something....

David Spahr