The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Newforest Institute Seeking Proposals for Its Future

Newforest Institute Seeking Proposals for Its Future

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,208
Request For Proposals

Dear Friends & Supporters of Newforest,

On July 9, the Board of Directors of Newforest Institute voted to approve a “winding down” of its operations and close by November 1. In the weeks that followed, nearly 100 community members met at Newforest to see if there was a way to rekindle the organization.

In response to the community’s impassioned request to continue the nonprofit, the Board of Directors is now offering a unique opportunity. The Board is accepting proposals through September 28 to assume the Newforest 501c3, with a new board, sound financial plan, and a clear vision that is consistent with the mission statement:

Mission: The Newforest Institute is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to improved community and sustainable development practices derived from the revitalization of historical forests and farmland. Through integrative study, sustainable development projects and community initiatives, we seek to promote those practices critical to a healthy, productive and sustainable society for the future.

Newforest has been operating on 9 acres of permaculture gardens with a 5-bedroom house and barn plus 275 acres of forested land. These properties are privately owned by the founders of Newforest, along with two others: a unique 2-story building and barn one block west of Newforest, and a house less than a block east of Newforest. All 4 properties are now for sale. Proposals for continuing the nonprofit may include the purchase of any or all of these properties.

Do you have a dream for Brooks, Maine in Waldo County? Gather your team and submit a proposal by 5pm, September 28, 2012 via email to jodie35@gmail.com. Hard copies may be sent to Jodie Dupuy, Newforest Institute Board President, P.O. Box 308, Brooks, ME 04921. Visit the website (www.newforestinstitute.org) for more details. Don’t miss this opportunity to build upon six years of hard work to grow permaculture gardens and offer rich educational programs in sustainable living.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,209
The following is some thinking from Andrew Watkins up in Belfast Maine. Andrew has been involved in Newforest for many years and is organizing several people to think about a proposal for Newforest:
---------------
Perennial Living Center and Hostelry

At present, some thoughts are collecting in my head that need expressing. Listed below are what I see for the future of Newforest.
Two Hostels: 3 season Hike n' Bike Hostel and a 4 season Hostel (at the Lavender Barn retrofitted and the Farm House respectively)
Two connected Institutions: The existing 501 (c) (3) for educational programs and a "B-Corporation" for Site Development and Micro-business Spinoffs
Each institution would have a 10-person board with 3 from each board participating in a Collective Communications Panel.
Food Forest Research, Development and Education (Sarah?): The food forest is poised to begin producing a noticeable amount of food and other resources. Three more years of intense development are indicated. Out-buildings to include a Processing Kitchen, 3-season huts, Tent Platforms, and an Earthship Structure.
Finances: Not my strong suit but I've been thinking a crowd-funded capital campaign using Indiegogo (or similar) to collect funds in the amount of $500,000 with $250,000 from each Institution.
Ergo: The math indicates $25,000 per seat.
Donations $25.00 and above to receive a vote for each seat.
$25.00/1000 people/seat
$250.00/100 people/seat
$2500.00/10/seat
$5000.00/5 people/seat
$10,000.00/1 person/seat
$25,000.00/1 person/ lifetime seat
Five year development plan:
Year 1: Water Harvesting, Integrated Cisterns, Tent Platforms, Weatherizing
Year 2: Attached Barn Development, Lavender Barn Development, Food Forest "Permanent" Pathways
Year 3: Food Storage, Lavender Barn Development, Huts/Cabins
Year 4: Earthship, Food Forest Process Kitchen
Year 5: Finish all work projects
Some newer ideas:
First Year Educational Plan:

Monthly Themes - The Seven F's (Food, Fiber, Fuel, Fodder, Farmaceuticals, Fertilizer, Fun), 3 Tenets Applications

Andrew's email is andrewwatkins.watkins@gmail.com if you'd like to talk to him about this.