The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Question about Evening Primrose as Japanese Beetle Trap

Question about Evening Primrose as Japanese Beetle Trap

alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 17
yes staking the tansy is a good idea. what i'm planning to do this year is cut it back, probably in june, bc it is so vigorous that it rockets up early and flowers and by august it's lanky and looks like crud while everything else in the garden is still looking decent. so i'm hoping to delay that aspect this year or perhaps avoid it altogether.

never heard of purple tansy.... i'm not sure what the particular variety is that we've got, i suspect it's the wild/generic (?) type due to it's vigor. perhaps a more highly bred species will be less rambunctious.

i don't know how well established your raspberries, but if they are small and young, you may want to reconsider interplanting tansy with them until they are older and more established. otherwise that tansy may run wild; i know if i planted it amongst my raspberries (which are quite small, put them in last year and they didn't exactly thrive) they would be dwarfed in short order.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 156
I plan to do bottomless pot planting for the tansy to help contain it. I have been saving coffee pots for just this purpose. Also, I'll be trimming my tansy vigorously, as, like comfrey, it apparently makes both, a good mulch AND a good compost booster.

Unfortunately, I left my bag of primrose at the swaling work party...forgot about it in my rush to get home and ready for work.

Sigh...