alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 26
so some of my eggplants and snapdragons seem to be in a rut. after transplanting them a few weeks ago, they just never took off. like, looks like they haven't grown *at all.* some of them also have yellowing leaves, on the eggplants the entire leaves look pale yellow/washed out, while the snapdragons seem to have mottled yellowing on the leaves. for both plants, it's not just the lower leaves but all of them. all the snaps but one also have purplish on the underside of their leaves. i've never grown snaps before and i don't know if this is common, or varies by color of the flower, or if it's bad. it's strange that one of them does not have the purple (but yet also hasnt' grown since xp).

anyway, my typical initial response when something isnt looking good, and i don't know what to do, is to do nothing, wait and see. well, i've been doing nothing for a few weeks now, and these plants have been doing nothing right along with me. any ideas on what the problem is? i hesitate to fertilize in case they have been overfertilized, but i also wonder if i should fertilize bc the coloring suggests they're low in N!! lol from what i've read, symptoms of lack of N and of overfertilization are both yellow leaves.

any suggestions? interestingly w/ the eggplants, this is only happening w/ the variety "calliope." my black belles are actually looking awesome. in spite of the fact that the calliopes where the ones to sprout 1st (by at least a week) and were initially looking awesome and robust. i was worried that the black belles would be duds this year. but after transplanting them into 4in pots, the calliopes have stalled and the BB's are roaring. same potting mix, same technique, same light and temperature, etc. hmmmmm

thanks guys!
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 36
From what I've observed in my gardens, yellowing leaves are from lack of nitrogen. Have you had your soil tested?
Here's the link to get it tested in Maine.
http://anlab.umesci.m...­
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 176
Alder...perhaps some kind of bacteria is affecting them? Were the pots you planted into clean ?

Did you give them a chamomile tea drink?

What are you watering them with? plain water? Periodic fish emulsion?

The purple on the bottoms of the leaves is varietal, I think. My snaps are purple underside also.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 166
Unless they are in a hoop house they may not be growing because of temperature. I have not found too much advantage in planting early. They just sit there till things warm up. Yellow leaves could be a lot of things.
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 28
they are in my greenhouse, if anything it might to be too warm (at least for the snaps). good to know about the purple undersides zengeos.

i mainly water with warm water, i have watered a few times with diluted seaweed emulsion. not very often though.

yes the pots were clean and sterilized.

i didn't give them chamomile.... what is the benefit?

no i haven't had my soil tested.... but these guys are in potting soil, not garden soil (which i already know is lacking in a lot of things!). i suppose i could test the potting soil... i ran out of commercial mix and had to make my own, following coleman's recipe in 4 season harvest. maybe my proportions ratios weren't accurate enough.

thanks for your thoughts!
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 178
Chamomile has some natural fungicidal properties, apparently.

The recipe is something like this.

steep a chamomile tea bag in hot water a few minutes.

Drain the water and steep it in a fresh cup of water. I think you can even boil it or simmer it for 5 minutes

Dilute with 4 cups of water.

This is a basic recipe and there are numerous variations. I know it helped rid me of some slimy green mold growing on my day lily soil surface in about 2 days.

While foliar spraying of seedlings, especially small seedlings is frowned on by some, a foliar spray of the chamomile tea doesn't seem to harm the plants any. once or twice a month foliar, if needed is ok. I did a single cycle for most all of my seedlings at around 3 weeks age. It certainly didn't hurt them any.

Some people claim it helps prevent damping off also.

Mark-
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 179
BTW....I expect I'll get some good chamomile for tea this year, so, if people want the end result (dried chamomile), I'll be happy to give you some. Of course, 1 package of chamomile tea is enough to last a few years, unless you do lots of seed starting!
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 29
aha! very interesting re: the chamomile tea mark! i think i will try that on one flat that has that dam*ed green slime mold.

well, these plants are past "seedling" stage... i guess i should have clarified that. i mean, they've got a few sets of leaves by now, etc. so my point being i think i'm past the fear of damping off (unless that can happen even with older starts?)

i'm wondering if perhaps overwatering is my problem.... i usually have a fan going and that dries the top of the soil quite quickly, but perhaps the bottoms is still moist and i'm overdoing it. i'm going to cut back on water for a few days and see if there is any improvement or change.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 180
I only bottom water, Alder. The surface of the soil rarely gets wet except the seed starting medium.

Once the seedlings are transplanted to regular potting mix..Pro Mix, etc...I bottom water and wait for the water reservoir to be dry before adding more water.

The roots tend to grow deeper.
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 31
yes that has been my technique in the past, this year someone told me that i should top water in the greenhouse to maintain better humidity (?) but either way, i'm out of trays to do the bottom watering at present. good lesson on planning ahead and not to overplant! if they can hang on a bit longer, they'll be in the ground soon enough. :)