addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Newcomers to the Providence Area Message Board › So-to-be newcomer

So-to-be newcomer

Alexandra L.
aloehrer
Providence, RI
Post #: 1
Hi all! I am so glad I found this group. I wish I was there already because all these events have sounded so fun! Just wondering if any of you have any tips/suggestions on moving to Providence. What neighborhoods do you like? Anyone know of any apartments that will be available in August (ideally August 15)? Tips on how to find apartments (I've mostly been using craigslist). Tips on finding a job? Things to avoid? Things to look forward to? I have never been to Rhode Island and I've never lived on the east coast so I am super excited! All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

-Alexandra
c
user 2264651
Group Organizer
Providence, RI
Post #: 4
That's a lot of questions, but ill try to provide some tips.

First off, make sure to see apartments in person if you're apartment hunting. Craigslist is nice, but is notorious for bait and switch where something will look nice in an ad but you will be shown something totally different.

There are nice neighborhoods all around Providence, it just depends on what you're looking for. A lot of people like the eastside since it's close to Brown U and Downtown, which is also a nice place to live. Areas around Broadway and parts of the armory district are also worth looking into. The Mt. Pleasant/Elmhurst area can be nice as well.

Since you're midwestern you may also find some of the suburban areas in Cranston, Johnston or even Attleboro in Mass. to be up your alley.

Finding a job will depend on your qualifications and what you're looking for. You could expand your job search to Boston since it's just a train ride away.

Good luck.