Philadelphia Area Pug Meetup Group Message Board › Pug Seizures -- HELP??????

Pug Seizures -- HELP??????

Bonnie M.
bonnie1322
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 206
A member of our meetup group contacted me about her sweet pug Gracie having seizures. Gracie has had three now. They are putting her on Pheno Barb. Does anyone on this list have experience with seizures that you might be able to share your experience with your pug. Christine is worried sick about her dear little girl and I'm sure a number of you have had experience with this and can give her some insight as to what to expect.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Bonnie
Organizer Philadelphia Pug Meet-up Group
A former member
Post #: 11
I can't help with seizures in Pugs specifically however, my Schipperke had seizures. First off, I hope the Pug has had (or is having) a full CBC/Blood Chem profile to see if it there is a means of telling why the seizures are occuring. I would also seriously reconsider having annual vaccines done. Rocky's seizures eventually stopped (and his overall health improved 200%) when we stopped with annual vaccines (except for Rabies). She should do her own research on whether or not she feels vaccines or safe or not--it's certainly not for me to make that kind of decision for her. I sure hope they can get the siezures under control and get her off the Phenobarb. I guess time will tell. Best wishes to Gracie!

Linda
Terri
Terri-2786539
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 26
I can't speak personally on pug or dog seizures, but I am a hospital pharmacist and I work with neurosurgeons/neurologists and I've dealt personally with seizures in cats. There can be many causes, sometimes, just like in children it can be the result of a high fever due to infection, or as stated above as a reaction to a vaccination (many of you may notice your dogs are warmer than usual and/or sluggish after they get vaccinated). Treatment in animals is usually with phenobarbital or diazepam and just like in people....once they are controlled, you can eventually try to wean them off, but that can take months to years. Just remember to keep talking with your vet, and make sure they are monitoring your pugs' phenobarb level and liver enzymes. Also, if she gets sick (diarrhea, infection) she may be more prone to having a seizure even if previously seizure free on medication. YOU are the best judge of your pet's state of health, so whenever you notice any behavior that is unusual for your dog, call your vet! Good luck with Gracie, I hope she's feeling her usual self soon! sad
A former member
Post #: 1
I am so sorry to hear about your experience with Gracie's seizures. I do not have my own pug however the family's golden retriever Cody started to get seizures two years ago - the first experience was very frightening to all of us as this 70 lb. dog was throwing himself into things - we learned from the emergency care facility that you never try to hold them when they seize as they are in a state of confusion and behave in a way that may not be in their character. The phenobarb brought a halt to the seizures for about a year and then out of the blue they came back and were more frequent. Two weeks ago he had three in one weekend. We immediately took him to the vet and upped his meds. It breaks your help and there is nothing you can do to help them when it happens - but PLEASE be sure to be aware of any patterns and find a good vet that you can trust - keeps tabs on her liver and as far as I am concerned it is better to be overprotective - I take the dog to the vet for check-ups more than my sister feels it is necessary, but he is the world and I want to make sure I am always doing the right thing. I know that I have not given you any solution, but wanted you to know that this is more common than you may think and there are others out there going through the same heartache when it happens to your own. Best of luck to you and Gracie - give her lots of love!!
A former member
Post #: 27
Thank you so much to everyone who replied and also to Bonnie for posting this up while my computer was out of order. Grace is doing much better. We tried her on the phenobarb and she was on it for about a wekk. The side effects were heartbreaking. She was SO sedated and did not have a personality. I took her for other opinions and she is now on KBR which is potassium bromite. The side effects of the other meds seem to be diminishing although she did have another seizure over the weekend. The seizure she had over the weekend was very quick and the post phase was not as bad either so I am sure that the meds are helping. I called the vet and he suggested to give her a double dose for the next three days and then go back to her regular dose. She is now back to her crazy self. The vet mentioned that changes at home or stress on the owner may have caused this since her bloodwork came back normal. I have been out of work for a month and had back surgery last week so I sometimes wonder if these issues have anything to do with it. Thanks again to everyone and I will keep you posted on how she does. Thanks!
A former member
After reading this posting about Grace I had to reply since it hit close to home. I also noticed my pug London started having mini like seizures after her first vacination. The vet said it might be sinus related and prescribed medication. However, a few months later it still occurs time to time.

Myself occasionaly experiencing seizures I know how uncomfortable London must feel. I wish the best to you Christine, and Grace.smile

Best, Erica
A former member
Post #: 28
Thanks Erica. The more people I talk to, the more I realize how common it is. It helps to hear some other dog owners similar situations. I hope your pug does well on the meds.
Carol
user 3183671
Cape May, NJ
Post #: 274
Seizures run more prevalent in some breeds then others. I do believe the pug is one of them.
A former member
Post #: 30
You are correct. I had no idea that this was such a problem with pugs but it is very common.
A former member
Hello all, I am glad there is a discussion on this issue. There is info on pub seizures on other sites but I haven't been able to find any real true answers (there is good information out there but not enough).

My pug?s named is Gigi Marcotte and she is almost 13 1/2 years old now as she was born in June 1993. My mother & father adopted her in Christmas of 1996. She is my second pug, my last pug lasted almost 16 years old and it was heart breaking when we lost her.

Gigi has been an inspiration to our family, I can't ever replace her. She is getting older now and health problems are beginning. She still plays and talks to people as she is always happy. I am praised that we found her for adoption as she went through 5 homes until we adopted her.

Gigi has just started having seizures though and this is quiet scary for me. I noticed her first one 6 weeks ago and by now maybe I have seen her have about three. My mother claims she's have about 5 to 10 seizures now. She gets out of breath when she climbs the stairs as she still has the energy and is a real trooper. Her big ordeal is her enlarged heart as this might be the issue with the seizures or not but the vet claims it is a possible heart attack but she is having the seizure symptoms. I don?t believe it is a heart issue but I have to play close attention either way.

Her vet doctor has about almost 40 years experience as we are confident they know what they are doing. I would like to get a second or third opinion as advice or help is always key with our dog.

The things I can say besides her seizures is her legs are weak but at times she can still run and run up the stairs on the second floor (but we stop letting her do that as we witnessed a seizure from her but it could have been a prior walk included). Her sight is going but she still sees and hears excellent besides her sense of smell and eats well. Her spirits are still well and she doesn?t show any sign of pain.

I am still confident my dog will still survive but even so I have to realize she is getting older and I don?t know if the seizures will take her life or no. I would ask if anyone had any information about any medication or remedies for seizures as I do donate to pug shelters every month and donate to pug research too as there is not enough research to find more about pug seizures.

Thanks
Scott Marcottesmile