San Diego Pug Club Message Board › training collar for pugs?

training collar for pugs?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Pug Fans,

I have two young, enthusiastic (and, of course, Cute) pugs -- Lucy and Ricky. I understand they should be walked with harnesses, not collars around their necks. Is that true for when they are just learning the fine art of politely walking, as well? I've always had Shelties (until Pug Fever overtook me) and I used a training collar and leash -- not sure what's best for the pug duo.

Both of them have had all their shots now and are ready to go exploring out in society, but they pull and lunge something aweful. The harnesses don't seem to allow me to give an effective correction (can you picture it... when I tug on the leash/harness to correct them and their front feet come right up off the ground!!)

Thank you,
Dart and Lucy & Ricky, the Pugs

PS: Soon as I can control these two characters we'll be seeing you at meetups often! Looking forward to it.
Christine S.
user 10103232
La Mesa, CA
Post #: 2
In my experience you don't need to walk every pug on a harness. Harnesses were originally designed for dogs so that they could pull things, ie. carts, sleds etc. The only time I recommend that a pug be put on a harness is when they have trachea issues.

A good training/everyday collar is a martingale style collar. They carry them at Petco and Petsmart and they call them Check or Anti-slip collars. Essentially when the dog puts forward or backward pressure on the collar the chain pulls taught and the collar becomes slightly smaller making it so they cannot pull out of it. Also when a correction is applied to the collar you get an audible correction with the chain.

Hope this is helpful, let me know if I can help in anyway :)

Diane C.
San Diego, CA
Post #: 24
My understanding is that if you use a collar instead of harness your pug is likely to develop trachea issues. Why take the chance?

There are harnesses that do not go right across the chest, so the dog doesn't have the strap to push against. Try a harness where the lead clips in the front. I have heard from many that this helps a lot with dogs that pull. There are several kinds.

Or try some positive training. Go on Youtube and look for videos from kikopup - she does mostly clicker training, but somewhere in there is a video about training to walk on a leash. It is really good and helped me a lot and does not require the clicker. Basically you train the dog that pulling results in being turned the other direction, while not pulling results in rewards.

Good luck!
Christine S.
user 10103232
La Mesa, CA
Post #: 3
I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there and unfortunately it's not always true. If using a collar on a pug caused trachea issues then it would be the same for all dogs.

Using a no pull harness is like putting a bandaide on a gaping wound. It may stem the behavior for a while and yes it does work for some very submissive dogs. However in the long run wouldn't it be a better option to have a well trained dog?

If you are really interested in working on loose leash walking then research trainers or get a good book :) It takes time, effort, consistency and dedication to make training really stick just like any good habit.

A former member
Post #: 19
My 4 yr. old Desmo has always used a harness. He not only has a big head with lots of cute folds around neck, so a collar would probably just slip off. He had a very good professional trainer who said to hook the harness on the front metal part. This taught him to lead , and not pull on a walk. He is very well behaved on walks. Try it. Good luck to you and your puggie! Desmos mom