San Diego Pug Club Message Board › seizures in Pugs??

seizures in Pugs??

Patricia & Teri
prettypug
San Diego, CA
Post #: 122
Send an Email Post a Greeting
our pug Buttercup , who will be 10ys old in Aug, has had 2 seizure like episodes...we dont know what brings them on, or if anything can be done to prevent them?? Its really scarry not knowing WHY? or WHEN, they will happen!!! We dont have the $$ to take her to do extensive testing at vet, and want to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar with their pugs?? Any help and advise is welcome!
Dan Carlin
Dan_In_SD
San Diego, CA
Post #: 32
Seizures are the primary symptom of PDE, however it is vitally important to understand and remember that seizure activity in Pugs does not necessarily indicate PDE is the cause. Pugs may also suffer seizures from Epilepsy, exposure to toxic chemicals or gasses and for unknown and unexplained reasons.

For more info ...
http://www.pugvillage...­
Mindy Ruzumna
pugmom4
San Diego, CA
Post #: 7
It is not very likely that your 10 year old pug would have PDE. You really do need to take your pug to the vet, though. You can apply for Care Credit or ask if you can make some kind of payment arrangement with your vet. There are lots of reasons your pug could be having seizures - anything from GME to epilepsy to kidney failure..or diabetes. I know how expensive vets can be but it really is important that you find out what is causing them. Good Luck.
imac
user 3419483
Lakeside, CA
Post #: 2
My pug Corky started having seizures about age 4, vet thought probably epilepsy - turns out after many tests and driving to Woodbridge for tests - it was something he got into - after he passed years later, the vet did look at his liver, and it was messed up - his guess was my bozo roommates crystal meth -
One thing learned though is that the old drug potassium bromide worked extremely well with the phenobarbital, and gave Corky back his quality of life - the nervous pacing stopped, and his seizures almost stopped.
Keep my story in mind when considering letting anyone into your home - Corky could just have easily been a child - my bozo roommate never told me what had happened so I could deal with it - and looking back, everything I told him NOT to do, he did - in MY house -
Jennifer
user 9226826
San Diego, CA
Post #: 23
I recently went through this exact thing with my 14 yo pug. I'm not sure what you consider extensive testing, but I can tell you it cost me about $200 to figure out what was wrong (blood test plus dr.'s exam). They did a blood test (what most vets call a "senior panel") to rule out kidney issues, Cushing's disease, and other issues. They don't typically do MRIs on dogs, and if your vet tries to sell you one, I wouldn't go for it. They're extremely expensive ($1,500) and don't change treatment for the dog. It just gives you a definitive answer. In senior pugs, brain tumors are a possibility, and that's what they diagnosed my pug with. (it's the most likely scenario given his age. Pugs his age don't get epilepsy and the blood test came back perfect.)

I was obviously very upset when I found out, BUT it turns out it's not necessarily the death sentence I thought it was. It's most likely a meningioma (a slow-growing tumor of the meninges of the brain) as opposed to a mass tumor in the front of the brain, and it's very likely that he'll have a couple years (yes, YEARS) before there are significant symptoms. Since he's already 14, I'd consider myself quite blessed if he'd hang around another two years in good health!

But they did start my dog on phenobarbital to control the seizures in the meantime. (He had his 1st one, then 3 weeks later a second one.) It sounds funny, but except for the brain tumor, he's otherwise perfectly healthy!!! He just started his meds, and while they kick in, he's been a little muddled, and it sometimes takes a bit to get the right dose.

But I'd definitely recommend taking Buttercup to the vet! You'd get peace of mind, and you CAN help her. Also, if it is a kidney issue, that could get life-threatening quick.

And last but not least, if they do ultimately put her on an anti-convulsant, the phenobarbital cost me $17 for a 60-day supply from Costco. (There are some other meds, but the phenobarbital and potassium bromide have been around a loooong time, so they're pretty inexpensive.)

My pugs and I are saying a little prayer for Buttercup! Best of luck to you!