addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Westland Dog Food Co., Inc. (Exposed)

Westland Dog Food Co., Inc. (Exposed)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,130
Puppy Mill Awareness Launches Puppy Store Campaign in Westland Michigan

Michigan dog advocates join groups around the nation for
Puppy Mill Awareness Day to help spread the word
about commercial breeding at a peaceful rally.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 11, 2011

Westland, Mich. – On Saturday, September 17, 2011, the Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup will be holding a rally at the Westland Dog Food Co pet store from 12:00 pm to 2:00 p.m in Westland. Events such as this will be held all over the country for the annual national Puppy Mill Awareness Day. Concern citizens are invited to join the event and help spread the word about the cruel conditions in large scale-commercial breeding facilities.

Westland Dog Food Co is located 37687 Ford Rd. Westland, Michigan.

The focus of the rally is the fact that Westland Dog Food Co continues to work with brokers and mass-producing commercial breeders whom the USDA has cited for violations of the Animal Welfare Act.

"We have been reaching out to the store owners since July with letters and invitiations to stop selling puppies with no response." said Pam Sordyl, the groups founder. "We are offering to help the store transition to a pet-friendly business model and will promote them as the first store in Michigan to go humane".

Investigation Findings

The group's investigation revealed that the Westland Dog Food Co has worked with breeders from Arkansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Wisconsin with most of the dogs coming from Missouri since 2001.

MAM Kennels in Lamar, Missouri—was featured in an HSUS investigation (see video). United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) inspection reports show that MAM Kennels was cited for repeated violations of the Animal Welfare Act related to severe overcrowding, lack of shelter or bedding, dogs without the minimum space required, and no veterinary care for two years. One violation report read,

"There are 2 dogs - a yellow lab in pen #6 and a rottweiler in pen #64 that have injuries and need to be see by a Veterinarian. The lab is limping on the left front paw. The rottweiler is walking with a humpbacked gait and is very thin. Both of these animals must be seen by a veterinarian to access their medical condition."

David Remey of Boonville, Arkansas, was inspected by the USDA in December 2010. The investigator found that the outside runs of the dog enclosures had a build-up of animal waste. There were areas of the enclosure where the animals could not move freely without coming into contact with feces.

"This is disgusting," said Sordyl. "Michigan families care about their pets, while Westland Dog Food Co. has a history of working with out-of-state breeders who are mistreating their animals."

Over the years, Westland Dog Food Co. has worked with over 40 different out-of-state breeders and brokers, some of whom have also supplied puppies to Petland Novi. Those breeders' kennel inventories range from 21 to 482 adult dogs.

Michigan Department of Agriculture Investigation

The Michigan Department of Agriculture launched an investigation of Westland Dog Food Co.'s health certificates after finding that 44 % of its puppies were being imported illegally into the state. From June 2009 to December 2010, 25 of the puppies' health certificates were rejected for not having the vaccinations required for import into Michigan.

Pet stores, including Westland Dog Food Co, will tell customers that they do not get dogs from puppy mills, but only mass-breeding facilities can fulfill the demand for retail pet store orders. Responsible breeders won't sell dogs to pet stores for resale.

Puppy Mill Awareness is asking Southeast Michigan pet stores, including Westland Dog Food Co, to agree to the following:

• Stop selling animals acquired from breeders in their store(s) or on the Internet.
• Agree to transfer, sell or retail only dogs that are "rescued," coming from animal shelters or 501(c)(3) non-profit animal rescue groups—not from Craigslist or other retail websites.
• Agree to make these changes in every other business in which the store may have an interest, either currently or in the future.

The Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup is working to build awareness toward ending mass production of dogs in "puppy mills." The group's public education campaign teaches the public about the origins of pet store puppies and lobbies for stronger laws and regulations for animal breeding.

Learn more about Puppy Mill Awareness
http://www.meetup.com...­

For more information, or to arrange an interview with a Puppy Mill Awareness member, please contact Pam Sordyl

###
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,142
We held our Puppy Mill Awareness Day event at Westland Dog Food Co. It was nice that the owner came out to speak with us, however, he doesn't seem to be well aware of exactly where the dogs are coming from. Nor Kim or Steve, who manage the store, spoke with me. I know what they are hiding.

I am hoping the store sees that we are very serious about this campaign. I plan to publish my complete findings soon, but would like to see if the store changes their mind about our offer.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,143
Meetup Members,

Yesterday's protest at Westland was amazing! We keep getting better and better at this!

I counted 30 of us and I am guessing they had 15? It seemed like they were hanging out in their parking lot most of the time. Some couldn't go 3 hours, but we stayed strong the entire time! I was so impressed with our group.

Photos
http://www.meetup.com...­

Ford Road was super busy and EVERYONE saw us! Someone was counting the honks. I think we were over 70 after the first hour? I am glad ALL the store owners were standing by to see how easy we generate support. That might have been a surprise to them.

I had a conversation with the owner Phil. He is the old guy who handed the business down to his son Steve and his wife Kim. I don't think he knows where they are getting the dogs, but he most have some ideas. I told him to read all the inspection reports. I have. I also suggested they visit each and every kennel themselves. He had the usual come backs and aversions, never answering my questions. He later told me that they have "financials" and will be able to survive this. He must have felt threatened or else why would he name drop the major of Westland and Westland's Attorney General? I think he said his own attorney was there too. That is what they usually do….call their attorney. They probably have already figured out that there is nothing they can do.

Overall, we handled the counter-protest very well. No confrontations.

I loved the home-made signs! Thank you all for taking the time to bring them. Awesome.

If you google "Westland Dog Food Co., Inc. Protest" a lot is coming up.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,153

Some controversy unfolded last Saturday when Westland Dog Food Co joined our protest with their own signs. A counter protest is nothing new for our group. There were no confrontations and one of the owners did take the time to talk with us.

Some of their protesters kept asking where the proof was. It surprised me since I have published two press releases including information on two breeders, inventory numbers and the MDA investigation. I am hoping that their protesters take the time to now read our findings on our Message Board.

Some of the stores neighbors came by to talk to them about the protest. The pet store has some explaining to do.

If the store wasn't worried about us, they wouldn't be out there. We welcome counter protesters and we hope they come back again.

*should they really be advertising 1,000 of puppies sold. Yikes.

Notice the woman crashing thru our group photo. Brave and determined. So are we.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,169
Of the thirteen Westland Dog Food Supply breeders I investigated this summer, I discovered that three have Open Investigative Enforcement Services Cases in Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas.

We are withholding records that are part of an Open Investigative Enforcement
Services (IES) cases, AR00016 (Wylie, Rhonda & Duane Slagley, Happy Acres
Kennel), KS09028 (Nancy Schulz), and M011036 (Robin Sheets), under FOIA
Exemption 7(A), 5 U.S.C. § 552(b)(7)(A). This exemption protects from disclosure
records compiled for law enforcement purposes, the release of which could reasonably
be expected to interfere with enforcement activities.

The USDA sent me these photos from Bob and Dee Ann Cleveringa (B&D Kennel) in Iowa. This Iowa breeder has shipped puppies each year to Westland Dog Food Supply since 2009.

Bob & Dee Ann Cleveringa
4591 IBEX AVE
Orange City, IA

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,179
Our 2012 boycott began at Westland Dog Food Co yesterday!

We had 21 protesters and over 200 honks of support during our 2 ½ protest. The store was provided photos of their Cleveringa's Iowa­ kennel, the shipping record and their USDA inspection report listing the violations.

It appears the store believes our signs have false statements, such as "Caution, Bad Breeders" since the store is not actually breeding. I helped the owner, Phil, connect the dots from their puppies in the store to the breeding dogs that we are protesting for. He believes that the dogs are fine since the USDA inspects and the vet signed off on the health certificate.

Residents of Westland didn't think the dogs in our photos looked fine:

My two part conversation with the pet store owner has been posted on YouTube:

Part 1

Part 2

The owner stated he would have a talk with his son Steve who runs the store. Phil is his father and has some influence. Lets see how the rest of the family and employees respond to these actual photos. Maybe they have been kept in the dark??

They only had two counter protesters and only one made a partial effort to be seen. It was clear that they can't get the full support as they did last September.

We will continue to expose the stores breeders and educate the public until they switch to adoption events. Please join us on Saturdays from 12-3.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,180
Photos from our 2012 Boycott Kick-off Saturday, January 7th.

Join us every Saturday from 12-3 until they switch to adoption events only!

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,181
From June 2009 to December 2010, 25 of the puppies’ health certificates were rejected by the Michigan Department of Agriculture for not having the vaccinations required for import into Michigan:

View certificates

Kelly Valentine 11/29/2010 Not Approved
Sandy Harkreader 10/22/2010 Not Approved
Sandy Harkreader 10/29/2010 Not Approved
David Remy 10/29/2010 Not Approved
Janie Woolley 11/5/2010 Not Approved
Dona Cope 4/15/2010 Not Approved
Marlene & Jerry Bundy 7/5/2010 Not Approved
Marlene & Jerry Bundy 7/19/2010 Not Approved
Kara Cass/Bryan & Destinay Wilson 5/10/2010 Not Approved
Dona Cope 12/9/2010 Not Approved
Howard & Terry Buening 7/19/2010 Not Approved
Howard & Terry Buening 8/23/2010 Not Approved
R&R Kennels 6/15/2009 Not Approved
R&R Kennels 6/22/2009 Not Approved
R&R Kennels 6/29/2009 Not Approved
Mid America 6/30/2009 Not Approved
Mid America 7/7/2009 Not Approved
R&R Kennels 3/3/2010 Not Approved
R&R Kennels 3/22/2010 Not Approved
Brenda L. Johnson 12/3/2010 Not Approved
Beverly Fox 11/13/2010 Not Approved
Peri Neill 7/3/2010 Not Approved
Rosalie Clarton/Claxton 10/7/2010 Not Approved
Kara Cass/Bryan & Destinay Wilson 9/20/2010 Not Approved
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,182
If you have purchased a puppy at this store with and illness or genetic defect, please contact petshoppuppies.org. This organization tracks the number of problems noted for puppies sold at specific pet stores.

Westland Dog Food Company Petshoppuppies report:
http://www.petshoppup...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,185
On Saturday, January 28th, we held our third protest marking the very beginning of a long boycott against Westland Dog Food Supply.

We are protesting because the stores works with large commercial breeders in distant states with horrible violations to the Animal Welfare Act, some shown in our photos on this thread.

The store is attempting to counter protest with “Healthy Puppy Signs”. We are not protesting about the conditions of the store or how many sick puppies they sell. This campaign will always be about the breeding dogs that the public does not see.

Please join us on Saturdays from 12-3.