Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,626

We kicked off our Pollywood Campaign in mid September and will continue our public education efforts through the holidays. So far we have spent $230 on supplies such as postcards, flyers, and sign making materials.

We are looking for $10 donations, or what ever you can afford to cover these costs. If you would like to contribute, please RSVP this event and include the amount. You will then receive a Paypal invoice or instructions for sending a check. Thank you.

http://www.meetup.com...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,634

Public education campaign continues
with holiday protests

Holiday shoppers are warned to not purchase or
“rescue” animals from Pollywood Pets

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 27, 2013

Mt. Clemens, Mich. – Beginning Black Friday, Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan will be holding peaceful protests against the pet store in the Gibraltar Trade Center, Pollywood Pets, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Protests are scheduled Friday, November 29th through Sunday December 1st and every Saturday in December. Participants will be provided signs.

The Pollywood Pets store is located in the Gilbratar Trade Center 237 N. River Road Mt. Clemens, Michigan.

The purpose of the protests are to warn customers about sick and genetically defective animals sold at Pollywood Pets. The group’s investigation revealed that Pollywood Pets has accumulated over 120 complaints with the Michigan Department of Agriculture during the years the department regulated pet stores. Complaints included sick animals purchased and poor conditions inside the store. Local Animal Control stated they receive weekly complaints.

“Every month shoppers are contacting my organization horrified by their visits to the store. We have been provided photos of a urine stained rabbit, animals under heat lights, matted dogs, stressed birds and skinny dogs. “ Pam Sordyl, Founder of Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan

Puppy Mill Awareness is asking Southeast Michigan pet stores, including Pollywood Pets, to agree to the stop selling animals acquired from breeders in their store or on the internet and instead work with non-profit rescue groups only.

The Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup is working to build awareness toward ending mass production of dogs in "puppy mills." The group’s public education campaign teaches the public about the origins of pet store puppies and lobbies for stronger laws and regulations for animal breeding.

Learn more about Puppy Mill Awareness
http://www.meetup.com/puppymillawareness/about/­

###
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,635

"Hello. I went to Gibraltar and saw your protest today. I'm shopping for a puppy and asked the staff about your protest. The woman denied they operate a mill. I won't be shopping there, either way. Is there anywhere in Macomb County that your group recommends?" -- Our protests do work!~
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,636

"I adopted a cat from that place [Pollywood Pets] about a year ago and as you can see in this picture she had ear mites. She also had a bad cold and threw up before we even made it home. A week later I went back to check on the other cats there and they all were in the same condition. My sister got a cat there the same time I did and it is diagnosed with herpes. This place disgusts me and I want it shut down. You can re post my picture if you would like."
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,637

"Adequate care" means the provision of sufficient food, water, shelter, sanitary conditions, exercise, and veterinary medical attention in order to maintain an animal in a state of good health.

For Pollywood Pets complaints:
1) Call the Macomb County Animal Control (586) 469-5115
2) The Mt. Clemens Public Services Department Jeff Woods (586) 469-6847
3) The Mt. Clemens Mayor Barb Dempsey 586-469-6818 ext. 7
4) Send a letter to the Mt. Clemens City Commissioners
http://www.cityofmoun...­
5) Send a letter to the Macomb County Executors
http://executive.maco...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,638

April 28, 2008 “He was a little underweight – 10lbs, but I realized when we got home that they had been feeding him on puppy food. Is that so they would not have to feed them as much? He is not eating right yet, but of course he is adjusting to all the new changes in his life. He is missing hair off his nose and ears, presumably from rubbing them up against the cage for so long. The vet said this most probably will never grow back. His little feet are spread out as well, again from standing in the cage. He was a little unsteady on his feet and does a little trot rather than a walk. I’m not sure if it’s because he is a little dog or because he was not used to standing on his full feet in the cage. He is of course very skittish and afraid of everything. I put him up on oursofa with me, and he retreats to the corner and curls up. He is apprehensive when we approach him and cowers, but of course he is waiting to see what we are going to do, as he is not used to such attention.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,639
We kicked off our Pollywood Campaign in mid September and will continue our public education efforts through the holidays. So far we have spent $230 on supplies such as postcards, flyers, and sign making materials.

We are looking for $10 donations, or what ever you can afford to cover these costs. If you would like to contribute, please RSVP this event and include the amount. You will then receive a Paypal invoice or instructions for sending a check. Thank you.

http://www.meetup.com...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,641

Hi, Pam. I bought my puppy last September. She was 8 weeks old. After a day of her being home, she became very sick. Throwing up, diarrhea & lack of energy. I made a vet appointment as soon as I could and they did X-rays and confirmed that she had pneumonia! She is a dachshund/jack Russell mix, which isn't what her paperwork says! I like to think of her as a rescue, who knows what could of happened if I didn't buy her when I did.

The paperwork said she was a Dashchund/Shitzu mix.. It also stated she was a boy, but when they handed her to me we noticed it was not a boy! LOL. I'm pretty sure her birthday is correct because the vet verified she was around 8 weeks, which is what Pollywood said.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,642
We had a great turn out last night at City Hall. Over 15 supporters stood up showing the Mt. Clemens City Commissioners that people care about animals in their community. We shared our concerns about sick animals being sold and lack of veterinary care at Pollywoods Pets. Courtney Protz-Sanders shared information about the state’s new political action committee for animals which lets voters know how elected officials are doing on animal welfare issues. Cara, a Trade Center Shopper, shared her observations during two visits to the store this month. Thank you everyone for coming!

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,643

The owner of Pollywood Pets spoke to the Mt. Clemens City Commissioners on Monday, December 2nd, 2013. As in past public meetings, the owner begins with personal attacks. The owner stated that agencies have inspected and found nothing. This is not true, we have listed the failures to comply on our website. http://michiganpuppym...­