add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

PyAtl: Atlanta Python Programmers Message Board PyAtl Job Listings › Sept. 13th Meeting Recap, Notes, and Call For Presentations

Sept. 13th Meeting Recap, Notes, and Call For Presentations

A former member

For those that did not attend this last meeting, you really missed out. We started off with a great roundtable discussion about testing. I then gave a very short 10 minute lightening talk on doctests, and then Toby gave a great presentation on TDD, test driven development, and BDD, Behavioral Driven Development.

After the last presentation we talked about resurrecting a group coding project and Jeremy Jones has volunteered to lead a resurrection of the Group Speaker Planning Project. I think round two could be quite interesting.

Speakers for October and November:

It appears our format for meetings is just about perfect now. We start out with a 20 - 30 minute discussion, have a 10 minute and then 20 minute discussion, hopefully on the same topic. Remember that I had received feedback that people would like to fill meetings up to 60 days in advance. Well slackers, you need to volunteer. On that note, we need the following:

10 Minute Lightening Talk
20 Minute Presentation

10 Minute Lightening Talk
20 Minute Presentation

Suggestions for a Theme:

1. Pylons: Pylons is really getting a good buzz and some people in our group are using it for big projects.

2. Widgets: Widgets are fun lets face it.

3. GUI Toolkits: I know there is a WX and TK project respectively in our group. I would love a presentation on either.

4. Concurrency: A presentation on forking or threading or both and 3rd modules that deal with it like the processing module.

5. Zope: I would love to see a Zope presentation.

Book Club:

The PyAtl Book Club is growing and we are currently discussing:

Collective Intelligence , for this book in particular we have more than the usual 5 copies. I have another 5 copies left, for those that would like to join our club and discuss the book. It is actually a fascinating book on Web Programming/Learning Algorithms/AI and it is in all Python. O'Reilly is doing a profile of our book club, so the word is spreading, forget Oprah's book club, join the PyAtl Book Club.

Atlanta Python Unconference:

Doug Hellmann brought the Houston unconference to my attention and after I sent an email out about it, I received quite a bit of positive feedback. I know that Jeff Rush with Python Advocacy will be helpful in giving us advice. It appears like we could best do this even after PyCon every year, maybe in early summer like May?

I setup a google group to discuss this. If someone wants to take the bull by the horn and become the organizer for the unconference that would be great, but I will help as much as I can in the meantime. The obvious first problem to tackle is the location. If you think you know a location that would work, by all means join the group and start the discussion.

PyAtl Unconference Planning Google Group

Some interesting things have been developing with the PyAtl Website. I received a few emails recently about the Atlanta Plone Group wanting to run To me this sounds great. Anyone that wants to run our website and set it up so that any member can edit it, I am all for it. I know we have a few other people interested in helping as well so hopefully it can be a group effort.