PyAtl: Atlanta Python Programmers Message Board › hey im new to the python setting loking for some help

hey im new to the python setting loking for some help

A former member
Post #: 1
hey im a person who is looking in getting into a setting of the computer industry and such im still highschool and im using this as a focus to well a Hobie. of course im the one who pics the one that people even go to college for training , but oh well the more adventure there is to it. im looking into setting up a game such as a mmorpg in wich i could use to keep my focus i do have some friends who are willing to help me to maintain, but i heard that python can be used to do more than just simple pygames . instead set up an database in wich you can pull in and set up a entire foundation for a 3d design rpg.

im wondering if my information is correct,and if so how do i accomplish this or any sources that could help me accomplish this
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Matthew,

Glad that you're interested in Python and programming in general!

Building an MMORPG is a really huge task, and if you're new to computer programming you probably want to try a few simpler games first. Most gaming books suggest that you program Tetris as your first game, no matter what your eventual goal is, so that you really understand the basics of how games are laid out. It sounds like you're already familiar with the pygame package, which is a good platform for building these games on.

That said, Dive Into Python (diveintopython.org) is a great introduction to Python, explaining what you can do with it and getting you familiar with the language. Then you might look into SqlAlchemy, a Python package which helps you work with databases even if you're not that familiar with SQL. Getting those first games under your belt and getting familiar with databases packages like SqlAlchemy should get you started on the path down the road to your MMORPG.

Also, why not come to the next Python meetup and learn some things! :) Sept 11th in Atlanta.

See you there,
Michael
A former member
Post #: 2
Yikes!

Michael is right. A MMORPG, whether it be club penguin or WoW, is a huge undertaking. You will need a team of developers at some point to keep up with everything.

That said, I'm new to Python and for all I know, Python may have a MMORPG generator/template biggrin