The details of the March 7th gourmet potluck are now on the Meet-Up site: http://www.meetup.com/raw-food/calendar/9697565/
We hope you can attend this potluck
Please go to the website to RSVP and read up on all the details, including location.
Please note, if you reply to this email, it will go to the entire potluck email list of 172 people, so please be careful.
When: March 7,[masked]:30 PM
Price: $1.00 per person
4:30 PM - Support Group Meeting before the potluck (all are welcome, please note in RSVP if you'll be attending this part)
5:30 PM - Arrival for Potluck Gathering
5:45 PM - We will gather around the table and each person will briefly share details about their dish.
Then we eat!!!!
7:00 PM - Rod Rotundi will give a presentation and we'll do questions and discussion.
7:30 PM - The Restaurant Committee will break out for a meeting and others can continue socializing until it's time to go.
For our potluck this month let's put on our LOCAVORE hats and try to source our dish ingredients from local sources. Use things you've grown yourself, a neighbor's backyard fruit, local items from a favorite produce stand, and of course our local growers at the various farmer's markets. Not sure if you can find local macadamias for that pie crust? Try a brave substitution of local walnuts or raw pistachios. This is a challenge more about making do with what you can find locally and in season than following that recipe to the letter. So have fun with this and be prepared to tell your sourcing stories or substitutions you made in the process.
Remember there is always the MARCO POLO dispensation whereby an ingredient from some far flung place is valued for a different backstory. Returning to the pie crust example, maybe fair trade wild collected rainforest Brazil nuts are a sustainable food source worth supporting and with some backyard fruit would make a great pie.
First and foremost we want good food and your good company while we all take a st-r-e-t-ch to stay as LOCAL as we can.
We have an exciting announcement to make because Rod Rotundi, owner of the Leaf Cuisine restaurants, will be coming to this potluck at the invitation of the restaurant committee. Rod will take the floor for a presentation about his restaurants and take questions as we explore possibilities of a raw restaurant opening in Santa Barbara. The restaurant committee will then break out for a meeting and everyone else can continue socializing. We look forward to seeing all of you and having your help giving Rod Rotundi a delicious and heartfelt welcome.
The Support Group - Will be having a quick meeting prior to the potluck starting at 4:30 PM and led by Lisa Moore, showing movie clips from Raw Encyclopedia and having a discussion. This will be great for new raw foodists with questions as well as experienced raw foodists looking for support.
Feel free to bring any announcements, flyers, books etc. about raw food you would like to share with the group :)
Looking forward to gathering with you!
Did you know there is a GREAT benefit to being a host/hostess?? you do NOT make a dish!!!
Our host/hostesses are so generous to volunteer & open their home to us so we have a place to meet & we are so appreciative! Please contact the organizing team by clicking on the "email me" in the "Organized by" box to the left. We are looking for hosts for some of the months ahead.
The Potluck Guidelines:
1. For EACH person attending, please bring a generous dish. Our group supports a RAW VEGAN ORGANIC Lifestyle so please use organic raw vegan ingredients in your dish. BE CREATIVE!!! We like to WOW each other and have a FABULOUS dinner. This is our monthly treat to each other!
2. Please avoid using anything people might be allergic to. Common issues are wheat intolerance and avoiding vinegars. It's easy to substitute sea salt or some miso mixed with water for Nama Shoyu, Tamari, or Liquid Aminos. Lemon or lime juice can stand in for vinegar. Thanks!
3. Please mention in your RSVP what you'll be bringing. (Remember you can come back and revise your RSVP comments at any time.) Note: Links to free raw food recipes are in the "Files" link at the left.
4. If you are new to raw food & want to try this out w/o making a dish - we have an option for you. Instead of bringing a dish you can pay $15.00 for your dinner. The max. for this potluck is 2 (two) dinner reservations. Contact the potluck organizer to make a reservation. You MUST make a reservation for this option.
5. If you would like, bring photocopies of your recipe to share. How cool is this? You could bring one recipe and go home with a dozen! Better yet, post your recipe on the meetup.com site (in the left column click on "Files" and upload your recipe document to save paper & clutter.)
6. It is appreciated if you can contribute $1.00 towards the monthly cost for our meetup.com site.
7. A benefit to being our Host/Hostess for the potluck is you do not have to make a dish! If you are interested in host(ess)ing please contact the organizing team by clicking on "email me" in the "Organized by" box to the left. We are looking for hosts for some of the months ahead.
You can always get in touch with me through the "Contact Organizer" link on Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/raw-food/suggestion/