Reston Social Scene Message Board › Regarding the new Thursday HHs

Regarding the new Thursday HHs

Boris
user 3270999
Group Organizer
Reston, VA
Post #: 9
Brian G. is motivated and he wants more events. He is in his mid 30s and he wanted more people his age for a HH on Thursdays. I did not know that he would be explicit about it. But the cat is out of the bag.

Lets see how this "experiment" goes for the next few weeks. Maybe we can have a small meetup HH within a large meetup. There has been many times when I felt like the only young one around 50 year olds... Not that I mind by now. You all know that I love my 49-53 year old ladies with heels of course;)

Anybody who has done a couple of meetups with the group is welcome to set more meetups even if they overlap. I don't really want more age restricted things as I like it as open as possible. I like some of you older people a lot, and I would not want to be locked out just because I am young. I can totally see why someone would feel left out.

I am sure Brian is not going to ask for ID's, I know lots of you are older and look young ;)

(Also Brian promises to stop sending so many emails. He is going to burn out soon at this pace!)
Ashley J.
user 13995707
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 1
thanks boris! I think this may be able to grow our numbers and bring other people to the group that may have been hestitante before. i have always believed that RSS has been a great group and i think this can only add to it!
A former member
Post #: 11
I feel like I've spent the majority of the last 24-hours apologizing for a good idea that was designed to meet a need recognized by several members of all ages...

Lots of people have accused me of someone preying on the under-40 crowd. I'm 36 :). And I wanted this Happy Hour to be 25-45 but was encouraged to make it 20s/30s. I felt like it was a good idea worth exploring for a couple of months to see how it worked.

I believe that a lot of the confusion/misunderstanding yesterday was generated by my own stupidity for not knowing how to edit events that I created as a regular member, as an organizer... so I had to delete them and re-create them... and I think a few people mistook that for me trying to throw them a hint (plus I did NOT realize that I was bombarding everyone's inbox), which couldn't be further from the truth. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a "hint" kind of person.

I grew up young, as a Marine, so I've always spent my time with people who tend to be about 10-years or so older than me and almost every single person that I consider a friend in this group is 45 or older. But not everyone feels that way... So when even I started to feel a little out of place at events, I began to wonder how out of place others felt.

I've been a member of Reston Social Scene (and Reston Fairfax Singles) off and on since the beginning of this group, and for the last year or so there has been a very notable shift in the group dynamic. But of the DOZEN events that I currently have scheduled, only ONE is focused on growing the younger-base of this great group (excluding the fact that it's a repeat event, of course).

I love this group and do nothing but talk about how warm and welcoming its members are, so to see my initiative get twisted this way and divide so many people genuinely saddens me.