align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Rochester Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Biking in the parks!

Biking in the parks!

Rowan H.
rjhawkin
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 11
Did anyone else see the little blurb in the Fridays paper that the county board had unamously passed allowing biking on paths in the Monroe County Parks System? Now Maggie Brooks just needs to sign off on it and it becomes legal.
Steve
user 5183167
Rochester, NY
Post #: 18
It's not that simple. First, it was a committee sending it to Maggie Brooks. Even if she says yes it still needs to be voted upon by the County Legislature. It's not all parks either, it's just Tryon Park and Irondequoit Bay Park West. This does not mean that off road biking will be allowed at any other County Park, at least not as currently proposed.
A former member
Post #: 25
I agree with Steve, this is supposed to be a trial period to see how the bikers interact in the parks. Unfortunately we already do ride these parks especially Tryon park off winton road so I really don't see how this will prove anything. Tryon park is home to very few people on a daily basis and seems quite run down and even somewhat dangerous due to old man made obstacles and garbage. Don't get me wrong- it is worth a ride every once in a while but is best left to riders experienced in rough terrain and loose rock.
Dryer road park in Victor is a much better organized, well labeled trail system that is routinely maintained by Victor Mountainbike club and local supporters. these trails are marked for difficulty, maps are available at the parking area, water fountains and clean lavatories are there also. I have done quite of a bit of local exploring and think there is nowhere near here like dryer ..... and it is Free!

Be safe... wear a helmet! ...... keep hydrated! cool