Re: [rockclimbing-159] Cooly in Coorg Cancelled !

From: Raja V.
Sent on: Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:16 PM
Hi Sunil,

First of all, I would like to thank you for being the main driving force behind this group. Its a great effort and I hope it will always keep running.
Sorry to hear about the Coorg trip getting cancelled due to lack of participation. I apologize for not having RSVP-ed early for this. I wouldn't have been able to join anyways due to having to attend another family function around that time (will be gone from the 27th of Apr till around the 1st or 2nd of May). However I am looking forward very much to joining you and the rest of the group on one of the upcoming short trips. I have been back to Bangalore for around 6-7 months now and I am looking forward to building up a network with active people and travel a bit in and around here.

My thoughts:
1. I think the "Maybe" option for RSVPs would be very desirable since it would give you a sense of how many are interested but are waiting on the status of something else before they can confirm. It would also help people like myself who dilly dally a little.
2. Shorter trips are definitely easier to say yes to compared to the longer ones. I work two jobs at the moment and sometimes its hard to convince both places to let me off for 10 days. Easier done for a day or two.

Thats it from my side and I am looking forward very much to joining you soon on one of the future trips.

Thanks and Wishing you the best,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Sunil Bhave <[address removed]> wrote:
Hi All,
Thank you for the numerous queries from many of you enquiring about the status of the 'Cooly in Coorg' trip.
I regret to inform you that it has been cancelled.

I would appreciate it very much if you would take a moment to read the next few lines, because in some ways its crucial to the success of the meetup group.

Firstly the specifics :
The Coorg meetup was planned at a proper "Holiday Resort" which translates to -make a commitment and make it in a hurry. I had to comfirm by today (Tuesday) morning and pay up the deposit amount. The initial deposit (to confirm the place) was around Rs. 32,000/-.

Now, I am willing to make a bet (as some of the poker players will know), but that was a rather large amount to play blind. I mean by today morning all I had was 1 (ONE) confirmation for the trip. If I had had even 10 confirmations (or there abouts) I was willing to make a call and block the venue.

I was trying to give the members time to decide, by putting a deadline for next week, but I also needed to close the 'booking' much prior to that.

In General
*) I am still trying to figure out what makes trip/ outings click, in terms of locations, activities, pricing, transporation.

*) I am working blind, in the sense I have to put an event out there and wait to see if there is a response. So it really would help a great deal if folks who decide to opt out will put their 'regrets' with reason. And I do thank some of you who have been doing this.
Those who are interested and willing, please sign up, sooner rather than later!

*) When it comes to planning outings to resorts / camps or other locations, which are commercial in nature, there is a higher cost involved..and the bookings have be confirmed way in advance to ensure availability. (Hmmm, I would not give two quids for my popularity if you guys landed up to catch the bus and found that the location had to be changed for the worse).

*) So do use this mail to let me and the rest of the group have your feedback.

*) Its extremely difficult to bring alive a group on the web, when the only point of interaction is a done deal 'event'. It does have its merits and positives though, which is why i keep trying, so again speak up and act up. If every one was waiting for the last moment to sign up, then I have no way of guessing whether we are going to make the numbers.

In Conclusion
Frankly, the Himalayan trip is heading for a cancellation. I DON'T have even 10 participants for the trip. That is the minimum number I need to even get a booking with the tour guide in Sikkim. So folks, if by 24th April 2009 we dont have the required number for the Himalayan trip, it too will have to be closed pre-maturely.
Just in case some of you are interested, but are waiting till the last moment, please think again and think quickly and act sooner.

Thanks all.
Sunil Bhave

Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Sunil Bhave ([address removed]) from Bangalore Outdoors & Climbing Meetup Group.
To learn more about Sunil Bhave, visit his/her member profile
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here

Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy