The Campaign for Liberty: Pittsburgh Message Board › >ACTION ITEM< Suggetions, Ideas?

>ACTION ITEM< Suggetions, Ideas?

A former member
Post #: 28
if you go to freedomrally.info and scroll down there is a link to sign a petition online to present to congress. There is a printable version but I'm not sure that it would be "legal". I know it's more of a statement but it would still be nice for the signatures to look as "valid" as possible. I have written the person to which the paper signatures are being sent to see if she thinks it should be altered. It would probably be best if the purpose of the petition and the signatures where all one one page to prove that the signers knew what they were signing. However, the online petition should be fine as of now.
A former member
Post #: 2
Please attend FREE class of Constitutional Scholar Hagan Smith - LIBERTY & JUSTICE Association - teaching is starting this Friday the 4/4/08 at 6:00p. See in my NEW profile for the location info and the future meetings where we can learn how to walk the walk of Dr. RON PAUL here is the link

http://usconstitution.meetup.com/23/­
Nick R.
user 7145374
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 7
From here down will be suggestions from members on the new group structure and future plans to be discussed at the Organizational Meeting.

Any suggestions and ideas that you have will help us decide how our group can best spread the freedom message and make an impact for the cause of liberty!!

Your ideas are important to us and will be discussed at the meeting.

Thank you!!
A former member
Post #: 50
I stand by all my previous suggestions and request that they be voiced at the organizational meeting. I also strongly suggest that the group focus on local action and education. We can and should link up with national groups regularly, but we should leave action and education at the national level to national groups. Let's stay true to the grassroots nature of this revolution and work to protect life, liberty, and property at the local and state levels. Doing so would not only make us responsible citizens, but could also help us mold a generation of libertarian politicians. After all, they have to start somewhere. Why not here?
Andy
MeetupDude
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 87
Some very good suggestions. However the ACLU and PA Clean Sweep are probably not groups which someone like Ron Paul would be well associated with. The ACLU are "cafeteria constitutionalists", they pick & choose which of our God-given rights to protect, and then attack our other fundamental rights. PA Clean Sweep has associations with Move-On.org. As for certain groups to become better associated with, you might want to consider those which Ron Paul has on record spoken at or become associated with himself. These include the Republican Liberty Caucus, the John Birch Society, the Republican Assembly, and a few others. In general I agree with being non-partisan. But best of luck to you to make changes within the Democratic Party, whose platform is as far removed from Ron Paul's views as can be. Bill Clinton also started unjust wars. The party also at large supported the Iraq war. Again I agree with the group being generally nonpartisan, but for me, constitutional change will be most likely through the Republican, Libertarian, or Constitution Parties.

Another item I'd like to include, to form debates. These would be interesting, and for those who participate, they'd be good to hone such skills for who knows, political leadership aspirations???

"If you have any suggestions or ideas on how we can use this meetup group..."

Here are some ideas I have, in no particular order:

• Advertise our group and important liberty-related info via an easily navigated webpage.
  • Advertise our group and important liberty-related info via coffee cup jackets and other unconventional media.
  • Republish Pittsburgh City Council meeting minutes on a searchable website.
  • Link to and publish Allegheny County government news.
  • Link to and publish Pennsylvania government news.
  • Link to and publish federal government news.
  • Coordinate with ACLU, PA Clean Sweep, and other liberty-loving organizations.
  • keep the group non-partisan
  • Endorse candidates and never parties.
  • Establish group principles and develop a questionnaire for politicians.
  • Focus on protecting civil liberties and restoring constitutional rule of law, and downplay fringe issues like 9/11 truth and income tax evasion. In other words, avoid mission creep.
  • Avoid becoming a cult of personality centered around Ron Paul, Alex Jones, or anyone else.
  • Treat opponents with courtesy and respect, even if they don't deserve it. That is, follow Ron Paul's advice to follow the Golden Rule.
  • Be tolerant of different opinions. Give people benefit of the doubt that though their heads are up their asses, their hearts are in the right place. Assume they have some positive intention, even if you see their positives as negatives.
  • Stay on topic when attending hearings, protests, etc. Real ID proponents don't need to know why the Fed should be abolished.
  • Cultivate good PR skills to avoid being labeled nuts, crackpots, tin-foil hat wearers, etc.
  • Come up with a new name for the group that is representative of our ethos and long term goals. Something with a memorable acronym would be best (like PULP: Pittsburghers Upholding Liberty Principles, only less lame).

Addendum: I almost forgot to suggest liberal use of social media, like Facebook, Ning, Twitter, etc.

A former member
Post #: 7
I am working on a universal multi-issue petition. The petition will list 200-300 issue grievances and people can check the ones they agree with and sign same. Rather than trying to get someone to sign a petition on the spot, they can take the petition home and go over each item/issue on their own time and mail it themselves to a central processing center (a PO box for the meet up group for example) or directly to the legislature. (Which way do you think would be best? collecting them all and bulk mailing them to DC? Or having them trickle in a few at a time?)

Anyway, the key is to get a multi-petition recognized as a legitimate petition. Even if it is not recognized, it is a way to have a real poll of public opinion without relying on a polling agency which will lie and skew the poll. This way, you get concerned citizens to actually confront government with their own personal points of contention.

You can send me your ideas for things to put on this petition either as a list of several or even one at a time to my E-mail (Hilary155@yahoo.com) - this is my back-up Email. OR you can post them in here for everyone to read and comment on.

-love, peace, respect. -Hil