Silicon Valley Ruby on Rails Message Board › Looking to make friends with other RoR devs who have an interest in possibly

Looking to make friends with other RoR devs who have an interest in possibly pursuing a startup

George C.
user 13540276
Menlo Park, CA
Post #: 2
Hello,

I'm looking to make friends with people who have a similar interest as me in both Ruby on Rails and the possibility of pursuing startup ideas. I find it hard enough to make new friends in general, but I find it incredibly difficult to meet friends who are passionate about the same things as myself. Most people I've meet at 'events' either love RoR but have a nice high paying job and are only superficially interested in pursuing a startup, or they're interested in pursuing a startup and are looking for a 'technical cofounder' since they can't code much at all and have no clue about how web apps are architected.

If you are both passionate about RoR and pursuing startup ideas, I'd like to meet you. This is not a call for 'cofounders', as I view becoming cofounders similar to a marriage, so I would much rather become cofounders with people I like as friends first. I'm looking for people to hang out with and share ideas.

A little background about myself so you can decide whether I'm someone you'd want to hang out with as well. I'm both technical and business-oriented. By that, I mean I have an undergrad in computer engineering, a masters in information systems, and an MBA. I've always had an interest in web development, but never truly pursued it post school. I've worked in both the consumer and enterprise spaces doing product management, and technical product marketing. My most recent job was for a group in enterprise IT infrastructure that grew from about 10 people to almost 700 in less than 2 years, as well as having spun off as a separate company from the parent company.

I left that job about a year ago to pursue my interest in web development and have been working on RoR since then. I've done a few personal projects here and there, and also helped a friend of mine build a prototype for his startup. However, I'm starting to feel the pains of working alone all day long, everyday for the past many months. So if you are in a similar spot, or not, and are interested in making a new friend with the same passions as you, and perhaps meet up to just do some hacking or chatting over coffee, let me know. I live near Menlo Park downtown, about 5-10 minutes north of Stanford University.

Thanks for reading!

George