Meet: Park ranger Jeff Manley: "Meet at Sibley staging area."
In the spirit of national Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service, please join us in volunteering to help maintain our local Sibley Volcanic Preserve for a few hours, followed by an optional ~3.5 mile fun trail run around Round Top volcano!
* Important: Please check this website for updates (incl. comments section) before you leave, esp. during the rainy season. This run will take place rain or shine. However, in the case of possible severe weather, park officials may change the location or cancel. Thanks.
Bring: Gloves (if you wish), sturdy shoes. Shared gloves and tools will be provided by the park.
What: "Monthly invasive plant removal and grassland restoration work on the third Sunday of each month... In return, volunteers learn about land stewardship and resource conservation while giving back to the parks they enjoy."
A park official said we can volunteer as many hours as we want. Volunteers are needed until 1:00 PM.
9:00 -- 11:00 Volunteer
11:30 -- 12:30 Run
More info: Habitat Restoration Projects
Who: Runners, family, friends of all abilities, including run-walkers, are welcome to volunteer/run.
Run type: Social, at an easy pace. Partner / form pace groups as needed.
If you are not familiar with these trails, please print and mark the route on your map before the run. Start-finish at Old Tunnel parking lot. ~3.5-mile route:
- Take Bay Area Ridge trail (aka Skyline Tr.) toward Sibley Staging area.**
- Bear right on paved trail toward Round top. Stop and look at illustration, of the formerly active volcano and prehistoric animals, on the right side of trail.
- Right on Round Top Loop Tr. to loop around Round Top.
- Bear right after water tank.
- Right on Bay Area Ridge Trail to return to start.
** Water, restrooms
Trail map: Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve
Comments? Want to carpool? Post in comments section below.
"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."
-- Martin Luther King Jr
* This is just a notice of a run and volunteer work some people are doing, sent out to those who might want to join them. Each person is solely responsible for himself, and for following trail etiquette, laws, park rules, and park safety guidelines. Thanks.