addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The SoCal African American Cinema Connection Message Board Current & Upcoming Films › For Colored Girls - Post Event Recap (OUR FIRST VIDEO!)

For Colored Girls - Post Event Recap (OUR FIRST VIDEO!)

A former member
Post #: 365
Please share thoughts & feedback after you watch!

user 10231031
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 29
I am a movie watcher period, so I will frequent the big screen and film festivals simply because I enjoy the overall movie experience. When you speak of mainstream movies and how movies as viewed in terms of Oscar expectations, this is one of the reasons why I like and support independent films and the independent filmmakers(at local film festivals) whose work don't always make it to mainstream, yet there just as great sometimes as some of the ones that headline at theaters. What you will find most of the time from the independent filmmaker perspective versus the big screen-big budget movies is a deeper story line without a lot of bells and whistles, yet it's still a good low budget movie that could get picked up for distribution. Also, many of the independent film makers are minorities, Black, African and African-American. So we should support them as well. They're telling our stories too.
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 1,241

Excellent job, sir (Chris) on getting the overall message across.

There are certain members of my family (who shall remain nameless) that would rather catch flicks on peer-to-peer networking sites for later viewing and this isn't exclusive to films from African American directors or cast, it includes mainstream films. The thinking is that some films aren't worth the admission or travel time to be seen on the big screen. I used to share some of that philosophy but try to be more discriminate in the movies I choose to see.

As I mentioned in my ratings comments that I haven't seen the play nor read the book. I'm hoping that For Colored Girls will revive or bring us a new stage production. I was able to relate to most of the stories portrayed by the women. The most heartbreaking stories were that of Anika Rose and Kimberly's characters.

I didn't understand what was up with Whoopi Goldberg's character - she seemed buffonish. Yes, I knew she hoarded, was religious and got turned out at an early age, but I still didn't *get* her character. I expected more from Whoopi. I think Whoopi's character would've been better portrayed by Alfre Woodard.

The big bone I have to pick with "For Colored Girls" is that out of the ensemble cast there was only one MALE character that was a good guy and wasn't a dog or trifling -- which was Hill Harper's character. I think the story could've been more balanced by having a good guy from an older generation.

Thank goodness we live in the age of Obama :-)

A former member
Post #: 12
Good Video Chris!

I agree with you as well BustAGroove. I attended the movie this weekend and my friend (a male) said that he hates the way Tyler Perry portrays Black men in all his movies -- as evil monsters. He said he feels that Tyler has issues with Black men maybe because of his childhood/upbringing.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this film myself. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. As a screenwriter, I think it was poorly written. That's a major issue that I have with Tyler Perry's films, I don't feel he has made the transition from stage (play) to theater. Certain things that work well in plays don't work well in movies. I feel that as a writer, he should have been able to convey the dialogue of the play more accurately in a way that people could better understand and empathize with the characters (not to say changing the poetry, but making it more suitable for the screen.) For me and several of my friends, we were watching and it just got to the point where we were beginning to say "Damn, another poem, just say what you mean!" I think that reaction alone takes away from the original piece, because we weren't appreciating the poetry after awhile, we were just trying to get through it. In the play, I'm sure the poetry was magnificent, but in a movie, there's a totally different audience. You don't go to a movie to see a play. I'm sure that's why he's getting so many bad reviews from critics -- because of structure. People want plan and simple. At times, I had to listen so hard, it was almost like a different language and reading subtitles.

Nevertheless, I felt the stories of each woman were PHENOMENAL. I could empathize with them being a black women however, I just wish that TP would have better executed this. The subject matter is something that everyone should want to see, but the way in which he did it somewhat makes you question his skills as a writer-director.

On another note, thanks for adding me Chris and I look forward to meeting you guys when I relocate to SoCal next year. This group seems like exactly what I've been looking for. smile
user 10231031
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 30
One of Perry's best films was 'A Family that Preys Together', great cast, good plot with 'star movie' dialogue and headliner actresses Alfie Woodward and Kathy Bates. This one has always been one of my favorites from Perry over the Madea series. I was just watching it again the other night. (smile)

I think Janet Jackson's character resonated with me more than some of the other characters. Whoopi's religious fanatacism-voodoo-believing-type character was underplayed a bit. Perhaps not the best casted one for that particular role. Janet Jackson owned her role and her personification was written all over it. Still, I am happy for Mr. Perry's success and get what and why he does what he does as a screenwriter/director/producer.
A former member
Post #: 392
A year and a half later, I realize something:

Over the past year and a half, I've ceased from giving African American centric films a pass simply because we're their target audience (I'M LOOKING AT YOU. "RED TAILS"!!!!). You need quality, substance and a doggone good and compelling script to get a thumbs up from me. The only thing good about "For Colored Girls" in the long run was the acting. That's all. Everything else was erratic, random and unfocused...and a year and a half later, the film is languishing in Netflix queues all over the world and Tyler Perry has become a filmmaker to be mocked and ridiculed...and rightfully so.
user 11292725
Valencia, CA
Post #: 4
Understand...not a Jim Carry fan and a lot of people think he's great... I DID see, at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center, The Contradictions of Fair Hope (documentary) last weekend. It was wonderful. Didn't think to shout out about it here, and apologize for not doing so. When I see something truly special pop up again, I won't forget.
user 10231031
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 47
Understand...not a Jim Carry fan and a lot of people think he's great... I DID see, at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center, The Contradictions of Fair Hope (documentary) last weekend. It was wonderful. Didn't think to shout out about it here, and apologize for not doing so. When I see something truly special pop up again, I won't forget.

I've heard nothing but grrrrreat things about that documentary. It did screen this year at the 20th Annual Pan African Film Festival, which I attended and posted quite a bit about it here on this movie group. The only thing about going to the film festivals is that I don't get to see all the movies that screen, so I like that other venues in the community will carry the films beyond the festivals into their venues for people to see.
A former member
Post #: 1