SACRAMENTO VEGAN SOCIETY Message Board › Save a Chicken at Sac State

Save a Chicken at Sac State

This message board is read-only.

Jennifer
jennibel
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 48
Hello. I noticed a beautiful chicken who is at the arboretum at the Sac State campus yesterday. I am in fear for her life. Sac State used to have chickens on campus until 5’ish years ago when the president decided he did not like them being there, so he had them rounded up and killed. They will not disclose exactly what happened to them because they clearly have something to hide. I know if the administration finds out about her, she will suffer the same fate as the previous chickens. I need to 1) find her a new home, then 2) trap her as humanely as possible so she can be placed in her new home. I am not experienced trapping chickens and do not have any equipment. I have a friend who said they could lend me a dog crate to transport her. Will you please help me find her a home, give information on trapping or share whatever equipment necessary to do so, and/or suggest people I should contact to help with this?

I called Sunflower Cafe to see if they would like another chicken, but they have signs warning it is illegal to dump chickens and to not do it, but people do anyway and they are experiencing a bad problem with it. The domestic chickens being dumped are badly hurt by the older, feral chickens and are defenseless. It is sad. I

I’m thinking of Animal Place, but want to see if there might be someone or somewhere closer that can help so she doesn’t have to be transported so far.

Thank you !!
Catherine Vade Bon...
user 83873162
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
Call Kristen Rodriguez at Animal Place (530) 798-5115. She will be able to give you someone in the area who
can help. The best way to catch it is to put chicken food in the crate and when the hen goes in to eat, shut the crate door. I wish I could be of more help. In Sacramento city, anybody can have backyard hens (three of them). You have to get a permit; pay a fee; follow their regs. If you catch it and dump it somewhere else -- well, you might as well then just leave it where it is. Animal Place may be your best bet for help.
Jennifer
jennibel
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 49
hello everyone. Thanks for the responses. I found the fella a home, he would not walk right in a cage with yummy, dried meal worms, but I did successfully catch him and he's as happy as can be where he'll live out the rest of his life harm-free! Animal Place had just rescued 600 or 700 hens and were trying to find them homes, FYI, so they were a bit inundated with chickens.