addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SACRAMENTO VEGAN SOCIETY Message Board › Adding more "wild" plants into your diet!

Adding more "wild" plants into your diet!

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 11
This last Tuesday we had a speaker whom uses the name Daniel Vitalis (his website is http://www.danielvita...­) and in his presentation he explained modern people have "domesticated" their foods so much that we bred out and lost what was nutritionally good about them in the first place. For example the majority of American vegans diets today are entirely of hybridized foods bred for taste rather than nutrition. Vitalis pointed out that for instance the greens we eat today from our gardens and modern farming do not appear in the wild as for instance "weeds" do, and ironically it is the weeds that are far more better for us. Of course he said most people today have not eaten these bitter tasting yet edible weeds that people used to in the past like dandelion. He also explained that there are also many plants growing out in wild places or park preserves that indigenous people sustained themselves for centuries. There are also plants gone "feral" like many berry plants do, that are likewise equal good for you because they can regain or revert properties they lost being domestically farmed in order to now survive and prosper wildly. (I told Daniel Vitalis that rangers out on the American River Parkway here however unfortunately discourage you from collecting free wild grown foods, including the berries of course because its "food for the animals.") Vitalis though says though an alternative you can find today more "wildcrafted" foods in the marketplace, or at least those that are closer to their wild relatives than traditionally farmed foods.
While its my personal outlook here, I will note Vitalis does tends to push his own products like many other raw food gurus out there, when the same products might even be found for less than the price they are charging, such as at Asian food markets. Vitalis also claims to sell "raw water" from a spring nearby where he lives, though I informed him of the movie "Tapped" which points out that selling water is frankly a "rip-off", especially now that sufficient tap water filters are widely available on the market. (I informed him the restaurant has a water ionizer, which I get my water from instead of buying wasteful bottled water)