align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Salt City Skeptics Message Board The Salt Lake City Skeptics Meetup Group Discussion Forum › On suggestions for Drinking Skeptically

On suggestions for Drinking Skeptically

Steve C
user 4223264
Sandy, UT
Dear Thinking Friends:
A few weeks ago I asked your thoughts about Drinking Skeptically. A few of us regulars batted things around (sorry, this ain’t no democracy) and now I’m reporting back with what we decided to do. Or, more accurately, not to do.
There were fewer than 10 replies, so it doesn’t appear we have terribly hot issues on our hands. That is not to say that the replies were not appreciated, taken seriously, or pored over. They were all three.
The question on the table was whether meeting at Fiddler’s Elbow excluded a large number of minors. Short answer: doesn’t seem to be a problem. If you happen to be or know a minor, don’t despair. There are local, skepticism-oriented groups in underage-friendly venues. Mark Woodbury suggested the Humanists of Utah Monthly monthly meeting. They convene at Eliot Hall, First Unitarian Church, 560 So 1300 East, and I bet you can get in without ID. Please ping me if you’d like other suggestions.
There were a couple of requests for more organization, perhaps in the form of a brief presentation or book discussion. Others said they like things just as they are. For a number of reasons I won’t go into (you’re welcome), we landed on the side of leaving things as they are, tempered with a couple of HOWEVERs:
The First However–Each month when we get together, pockets of conversation pop up around the room. If a pocket wants to further research a topic and reassemble next time to compare notes, by all means go for it.
The Second However–If you are passionate and—please—versed in a topic, feel free to stand up and shout out something along the line of: “I’ve been researching the effects of peanut butter on the mating habits of goldfish. If you want to hear what I dug up, come join me over here.”
The next Drinking Skeptically happens one week from tomorrow at Fiddler’s Elbow. Looking forward to seeing you.
Kindest regards,
Steve Cuno