The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board › Jobs › Green Jobs In San Diego
|A former member||
I have come across a number of career and employment opportunities working in the "green" sector.
I will post them as I come across them and invite other to do so as well. Over time we will look for better ways to aggregate and communicate these opportunities.
Today's first post is a great opportunity at UCSD. You might have to fight me for this one!
CAMPUS SUSTAINABILITY COORDINATOR - Job #42285
UCSD AUXILIARY & PLANT SERVICES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN DIEGO (UCSD)
Location: La Jolla, CA 92093
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
Full Time Position. Filing Deadline: 04/06/2007 or until filled.
The Campus Sustainability Coordinator will serve as the leader and manager of UCSD's sustainability efforts to foster a culture of sustainability among students, faculty and staff; identifying and prioritizing areas for institutional sustainability efforts; planning and development of short and long range plans and engaging other campus leaders to foster sustainability broadly across campus units. Incumbent will work to establish UC San Diego as a leader in the field of sustainability at the state, regional, national and international level by promoting broader awareness of UC San Diego?s environmental successes and accomplishments. Effectively work with all elements of the campus community to communicate and further the goals and initiatives of the campus sustainability program, foster partnerships between academics, research and operational departments to further campus sustainability goals. The position will establish and maintain an effective communication strategy, developing and coordinating education and outreach programs in support of UC San Diego?s sustainability, energy management, and resource conservation programs.
This position will work closely with project managers, building committees and design teams to ensure that U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) guidelines are met in all new campus construction projects. Provide expertise and advice in the reduction of UCSD's resources and consumption; develop, implement and evaluate comprehensive sustainability programs and supervise pilot projects to expand sustainability on campus. The Sustainability Coordinator will monitor compliance with UC Policies regarding Green Building Practices in new construction, major renovations, and in existing buildings, as well as serve as liaison to UC Office of the President to ensure campus compliance with annual reporting and other sustainability policies; attend and support Advisory Committee on Sustainability (ACS) and represent UC San Diego?s sustainability programs to the public by attending professional meetings and interfacing with external organizations. The incumbent will promote UC San Diego?s sustainability program by utilizing campus expertise, peer institution best practices, substantiality literature and conferences. The Coordinator will evaluate all University purchasing practices and encourage the purchase of sustainable products and services throughout the campus.
Occasional travel required.
* Bachelor's degree in an appropriate field (urban planning; ecology; chemistry; biology; public administration; business; engineering; etc).
* Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of sustainability theories as well as local, national and global sustainability initiatives and best practices.
* Minimum five years progressive management experience in higher education and/or sustainability field.
* Expertise in U.S. Green Building Commission guidelines as well as understanding of general policies and procedure in the areas of design and construction, purchasing, contracts and grants, and gift processing.
* Ability to operate personal computer using word processing, spreadsheet, database, maintenance/project management software and/or web based programs.
* Ability to develop short and long range plans for campus sustainability and resource conservation. Ability to write clear and concise reports and correspondence and interact effectively with many levels of staff throughout the department and university.
* Resourcefulness and creativity in drafting new University policies and procedures to meet both University and department needs.
* Proven ability to develop new projects within an academic setting; understanding of how to institutionalize new sustainability efforts.
* Exceptional oral and written communication skills, comfort with public speaking and ability to listen, learn and build trust among various constituencies.
* Strong initiative, decision making, judgment, discretion, analytical problem solving ability, confidentiality and the capacity to organize and handle a wide range of duties accurately and consistently.
* Ability to apply departmental and UCSD policies and procedures related to the position.
* Ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications.
* Knowledge of building codes, rules and regulations. Experience performing building and system inspections to recommend appropriate action to be taken. Experience coordinating and inspecting the work of contractors and other Project Managers.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Strong written and editing skills to prepare concise, accurate and understandable reports, policy/procedure documentation, proposals and general correspondence.
* Ability to supervise assigned staff for project initiatives as well as those assigned through grant activity.
* A graduate degree (urban planning; ecology; chemistry; biology; public administration; business; engineering; etc).
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* Background and DMV clearance required at time of hire.
* Must possess and maintain a valid Drivers License to operate University vehicles.
Apply online at: http://joblink.ucsd.e...