The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Group Organization › Future of the SD Alternative Energy group: UPDATE 3/23/09

Future of the SD Alternative Energy group: UPDATE 3/23/09

Bill S
UPDATE MARCH 23, 2009

Dear Energizers,
It's been my pleasure and very rewarding to be your group organizer for over 2 years now. Wow! We have had many good meetings, field trips, have tremendous members, and the group has grown even during a long quiet period.

Our mission remains to make change happen and turn San Diego into a showcase for adoption of green technologies at a grass roots, community level. We've still have got a lot of work to do on that front.

I SUGGEST WE FOCUS ON 3 THINGS:

1) GREEN BUILDING: Solar power (PV & Thermal), Energy efficiency (LEEDs certification), etc.

2) GREEN TRANSPORTATION: Electric vehicles, BioFuels (e.g. Cellulosic & Algae), Mass transit, etc.

3) GREEN POLICY ADVOCACY: Get educated on, plugged into, and help drive: Direct govt funding of initiatives, high profile public projects, individual and small business incentives, tax policies, etc.

GOALS:

MORE EVENTS!
-------------------
Let's become a hub for events (e.g. CCSE, Electric Vehicle Association, etc) that focus on aspects on the energy challenges. Also, if you need help on a project (like setting up a home solar panel) I know that many of our members want to help and get some hands on experience. So don't be shy to ask and we can make into an event. You just buy the pizza! :-) SO PLEASE EMAIL ME SUGGESTIONS!

MORE VISIBILITY
----------------------
To make change, we need to grow our membership, leverage our efforts with other interest group, and get attention for things we do. So any one with some marketing & PR talent , and/or plugged into other groups like universities, here is your chance to shine!

MORE ORGANIZERS & ORGANIZATION!
--------------------------------------­----------
If you have some passion for any area above, and want an opportunity to lead, you can become an organizer with rights to post on this site, setup meetings, be an emissary for the group. etc. You can be active at any level, doesn't have to be a full time gig. There are really many benefits, it's a chance to network and become a leader in the community and gain access with your new "power position!". Just let me know and you can start out immediately as an assistant organizer, no strings.

All the Best,
-Bill
Don C.
user 4067567
San Diego, CA
Post #: 6
First, thank you for your leadership Bill!

You brought up some great points, especially the need to focus. The name of the group is the San Diego Alternative Energy Group, so I'd like to suggest that the focus be on alternative energy. I think there is more than enough going on in this area to keep the group productively focused on that core issue, rather than spinning off into related areas.

Of particular interest to me is the Sunrise Power Link and alternatives to it, such as www.sdsmartenergy.org This is local, it's happening now, and judging from a Sandag Environmental Working Group meeting I attended last week grassroots input on this issue can make a difference.

On a broader scale, I chair the Sustainability Committee of Imagine Carlsbad www.imaginecarlsbad.org , which is a grassroots group focused on the environmental, social, and economic legs needed to create and maintain a sustainable community. Alternative renewable energy contributes to all three areas.

Renewable Energy IS Homeland Security!

Don Christiansen
Wayne B.
user 7767876
Murrieta, CA
Post #: 1
Bill,

I'm not a member of the SDAEG (or at least, I don't remember signing up as one), though I've been following posts from time to time. About a year ago I mobilized a new division in my company for alternative energy. It was more for practical than altruistic reasons, though since then, I have learned a great deal and it has changed my paradigm in many ways.

I will continue to tracks posts and try to make a meeting if one is scheduled. In the meantime, I will at least attempt to post any activities that I believe would be helpful and useful to the mission of alternative energy.

In that spirit, I presume that most here have heard of Picken's Plan and that members here are actively involved in that grassroots movement. If not, the website url is: www.pickensplan.com I believe it is as good a potential movement for change as we are going to see. It is driven by someone with enough wealth and self interest that could affect enough people to do something other than talk about it. In any case, as a former SDSU alumni, I appreciate your sentiments and efforts.

Best regards,

Wayne