addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Cars & Transportation › Phoenix all electric motorcars, available 2010

Phoenix all electric motorcars, available 2010

Ed F.
user 3520782
San Diego, CA
Post #: 8
Phoenix Motorcars. They will offer an SUV and SUT that will drive 100 miles, freeway speeds, on a ten minute charge! Price point below. This will change everything, wouldn't you agree?

It will use a revolutionary new battery technology. Success will depend on this battery's ability to deliver as promised.

SUT Purchase Price $47,500
SUV Purchase Price $54,000

One side note: I think the vehicles pictured are computer generated representations, what do you think?
Ed F.
user 3520782
San Diego, CA
Post #: 9
Oh, almost forgot: elsewhere on the net I read that this new battery technology will take 3000 deep recharge cycles. That compares to a couple hundred with standard battery technology. basically, this would mean the batteries will last for the lifetime of the car. I think I'll believe it when I see it.
Ben
user 7198327
San Diego, CA
Post #: 6
I read about this company a few years ago and was excited at the time because they were claiming to have this car available in 2008 (obviously that was a bit over optimistic). Anyways, it does sound promising technology wise, but with price tags in the high 40's and 50's, I'm not sure that many people could afford these anyways. Also, as with the other all electric offerings, I'll believe it when I see it...

Also, unless there is major battery technology breakthrough that dramatically increases efficiency and reduces prices, I think plug-in hybrids (especially serial hybrids) are more feasible than full electric given the extended range and cheaper prices. Between conversions and new car offerings, there should be several plug-in hybrids available by 2010 that get well over 100 MPGs...(Prius w/hymotion, Aptera, Chevy Volt, etc).
Ed F.
user 3520782
San Diego, CA
Post #: 10
I agree in theory that plug-ins show more promise. But plug-ins if I'm not mistaken, share a weakness with all-electrics -- the requirement for deep cycle recharges.

PROBLEM: The problem with all-electric and plug-in vehicles is the requirement to completely discharge and then deep cycle recharge the batteries during normal daily use. Standard lead-acid batteries can handle 300 deep cycles (last less then one year), but if kept charged up might last 3 to 5 years. Other more expensive battery technologies can handle 800 or so deep cycles (last more then two years), and presumably if kept charged will last many years.

SOLUTION: Today's standard hybrid-electrics do not completely discharge their batteries during normal use. Rather, they are constantly keeping the batteries charged through regenerative braking or non-use (during long freeway driving). The batteries will then last an acceptably long period of time. And the new Phoenix cars will use that new battery technology described on their website that can handle 3000 deep cycles while delivering an acceptably long service life of about 8 years (3000/365). Or so they promise!

Simply stated, for plug-ins or all-electrics, the new battery technology can deliver a real product that might be acceptable to a large percentage of today's drivers. While all other battery technologies seem to have an unacceptable price-to-service life, which would account for the fact that mainstream automotive manufacturers have not offered either an all-electric or plug-in vehicle.

This is why this new battery technology "changes everything". It is so revolutionary that I will believe it when I see it.