addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Diego Alternative Energy Meetup Group Message Board Politics & Debate › Sunrise Power Link "Zapped"

Sunrise Power Link "Zapped"

Bill S
Beesh
Fair Oaks, CA
Post #: 247
The attempt by SD Gas & ELectric to build power line through the Anza Borrego state park hit a big roadblock today. Only very recently are they seriously considering alternate routes along Interstate 8.
Personally I'd like to see "big solar" come to east country & Imperial county, seems there should be a way to make it happen without impacting a state park.

http://www.signonsand...­
A former member
Post #: 10
Regardless of the merits or demerits of Sunrise, there is a serious issue of the power grid, both locally and nationally. We need a secure, redundant and robust grid, just as we need the highway system and the internet.

As far as San Diego is concerned, its renewable (electrical) energy from wind, geothermal and solar are all sourced, with minor exceptions, far to the east of us. If these are to make a major contribution to urban and suburban San Diego, as I hope they will, there needs to be adequate grid to transport the electricity. The existing grid is not good enough.
A former member
Post #: 1
One way to promote solar energy production -- while avoiding the visual, ecological and health impacts of solar installations in the deserts -- is to encourage massive investment in local, residential DISTRIBUTED solar on roofs throughout the urban and suburban areas of SoCal.

And if we can finally get the NET METERING laws working right in CA (i.e. where your meter not only goes backwards and you pump solar electricity into the grid to cover your own electric uses, but you actually get PAID extra at a wholesale rate, at least, for the extra solar electricity you produce for others to use) -- then we won't NEED the massive solar installations in the deserts with their transmission-line nightmares!

Getting solar PV panels on every house roof, every institution and every commercial enetrprise in the next 20 years, (using tax subsidies and financial systems that allow ammoritization of installation costs over 30-years such as escrow accounts that stay with the residence, even if you move after the median 5-yrs of residence) will easily match or exceed the energy production of big solar" installations in the deserts -- and they won't require new infrastructure, which will be terrorist targets; waste huge amounts of electricity; cause visual pollution; and create electromagnetic radiation which causes all kinds of cancer!

What a concept -- solar electricity generated where it's needed -- right on our roofs; where the real estate is already FREE and no additional infrastructure is required!!!

No wonder SDG&E and all the other utility companies don't want to be forced to subsizie local residential solar production (especially if they have to swallow the idea that you can produce and get PAID FOR THE EXTRA energy that you produce).

Most people should easily be able to produce 1.5-2 x what they use from their roof space - even with solar hot water and electric cars thrown in. And if we will loose all their energy production profits! All they will be able to chrage us for is distribution and transmission charges. (But beware -- In the small-print of their current legal agreements with you as a rresidential solar PV energy producer, they can cancel their contract with you at any time, for any reason, and you have no recourse!)

We need to stop thinking big solar in the desert is a ggod solution and start working to make the Net Metering laws work properly in CAlifornia -- and start working to make sure the utility companies SUPPORT, not fight, solar energy production on a local distributed level, even if they will loose their power generation profits; these things are already working properly in Pennsylavnia, of all places!! So if they can get it done their -- we should be able to get it passed here -- just as soon as consumers wake up and realize they are being jipped by the utilities at the moment!

We also need the next administration to help us make these $20-$40K solar PV installations on each house as a viable alternative to the trillions (and wars) that might otherwise be invested in securing foreign and domestic oil, domestic coal and nuclear -- which are all TERRIBLE ideas....as most of us already acknowledge...(for climate change reasons alone, let alone all the other reasons, like energy independence and cost0effectiveness in the long run!)
A former member
Post #: 11
Excellent response Clare! It is my understanding that the "grid" is local and "transmission lines" are long distance. It is common sense to first focus on producing renewable energy locally, which can tie into the existing grid without harming the environment building transmision lines, create local business opportunities and jobs, eliminate or decrease electrical transmission line loss over long distances, and distribute the generation among many sources which makes our electrical supply more reliable, and probably less expensive. The Sunrise Power Link (SPL) is estimated to cost $1.5 billion just for the transmission line.

AB 1920 would require that the utilities purchase surplus electricity generated by "we the people". This is called a "feed-in tariff" and is the reason that Germany (which gets half the sunshine of California) is leading the world in solar electric installation. Germany has the political will!

It is my understanding that utilities are guaranteed a 13.5% ROI for building transmission lines, even if they are not used. It is also my understanding that SEMPRA (parent company of SDG&E) is currently bringing in liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Russia and Indonesia to its new port facility in Ensenada, and piping it to their power plant on the border (conveniently located in Mexico across from the proposed eastern terminus of the Sunrise Power Link). There is much speculation that the SPL is "green wash", and that the primary motivation for the SPL is to bring LNG generated electricity (which burns dirtier and is more expensive) into the southern California market, with Los Angeles being the primary market.

Remember the 7th largest and one of the best educated economies in the world (California)being ripped off by Sempra and other utilities a few years ago? It appears their mantra now is "trust us, we're your monopoly utility". From my perspective the proposed Sunrise Power Link is just another example of the extremely profitable business model of socializing the costs (via the rate payers) and privatizing the profits (SDG&E, Sempra, and the Carlyle group, which owns a significant part of Sempra).

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?

Renewable Energy IS Homeland Security, and Distributed Generation IS More Secure!

Don Christiansen